Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default in excel: format font conditional on content of adjacing cell?

Excel 2003
I wish to underline the content of one cell, if the adjacing cell is empty.
Both cells may or may not contain text only (not formulas).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"carl87" wrote in message
Excel 2003
I wish to underline the content of one cell, if the adjacing cell is
empty.
Both cells may or may not contain text only (not formulas).

To underline A2 if A1 is empty, conditionally format A2 with this formula:
=(A1="")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your 'adjacing' cell is A1 and the cells you want to format is B1
then:

Select B1
Click Format
Click Conditional Formatting...
Change 'Cell Value Is' to 'Formula Is'
Enter formula =A1=""
Click on the Format... button
Change underline from 'None' to 'Single'
Click OK
Click Ok

You can copy/paste formats this to any other cell apart from the whole
of column A.

Giff