Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
NM NM is offline

Default Expanding on the INDEX function

Im using the following formula to and am wondering if it can be used more
efficiently, or if I need something completely different.

=INDEX($A$12:$A$43,MATCH(Q12,$N$12:$N$43,0))

Data from column N is sorted from highest to lowest into column Q in my
Excel spreadsheet.

I have duplicates in column Q, so the above formula Im using isnt working
like I need it to. I need the formula to continue to the next occurrence in
column N when a duplicate is encountered and place that result from column A
into column S. I need this to continue as such as need be. I have over ten
duplicate numbers in column Q, but those duplicate numbers represent ten
different items.

For example I have this data:

1 DMWF
1 DMWF
1 DMWF
0 CC
0 CC
0 CC

However, it should look like this:

1 DMWF
1 HD
1 P (LC)
0 CC
0 LTC
0 HTOAC

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm thinking you'd need to use the COUNTIF function in some way. Without
seeing more data, I can't help.

Try putting this in an adjacent column to see what it gets you.

=COUNTIF(Q12,Q$12:Q12)

--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"NM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
NM NM is offline

The results I am looking for are the matching text in column A based on what
data in column Q matches data in column N.

- I have data in column N
- I have that same data sorted in column Q using =LARGE($N$12:$N$43,1)
- I want the results in column Q to find their match in column N then have
the corresponding data in column A from that row to show in column S.

The INDEX formula works fine, but if there are duplicate results in column Q
its search in column N always stops at the first instance it matches. This
results in multiple duplicates from column A, when in fact, no duplicate data
from column A should appear.

I think I explained it better, here. :-)