Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Rank order of errors

Hi all

I am confusing myself here i know it, i have a spreadsheet showing all the
errors that could occur on a particular piece of equipment down one side
(a3:a30)

I have January to December at the top (b1:m1)

I have another worksheet excatly the same format but filled with number data
( the number of times the error occured in that month)

How do i generate a top 5 error list based on this data in the new worksheet?

Or alternatively i would also be happy with January to December at the top
and underneath each month a list of the five errors in text format

i.e.

January Febraury
Gear Gear
Motor Motor
Harness Spring
Spring Sensor
Sensor Harness

Thanks for any help you can give

Derek
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use LARGE function.

For the top error, =LARGE(A1:A30,1). For 2nd highest, change 1 to 2 etc.

Then you can use vlookup to return the month. Suppose you entered this
formula in Sheet2 A1 to A5. In B1 type,
=VLOOKUP(B33,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$30,2,FALSE) and drag it down to B5.

Hope this helps. Post back if it works.

Thanks