Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default LInking workbooks

Hi,

I have a database set up which is very similar to another database which is
used. Some of the questions are the same in both databases. Is there any way
of transferring the data so to save time on typing? Also, The databases are
shared by many and are updated frequently. Can i program excel to start on
the next available free row when transferring data across?

Hope you can help,

Regards.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

yes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How would i go about doing this?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

yes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is a simple example that you can adapt:
1. assume there are two open workbooks:
sourse.xls
destinaton.xls

2. assume the sheet name is:
s1
on both workbooks

3. assume column A is always filled in

The user (working in sourse.xls) completes entries, selects the rows to be
copied,
and runs this macro:

Sub cary_across()
Workbooks("sourse.xls").Activate
Sheets("s1").Activate
Set r1 = Selection

Workbooks("destinaton.xls").Activate
Sheets("s1").Activate
n = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
Set r2 = Cells(n, "A")

r1.Copy r2

Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

"DaveAsh" wrote:

How would i go about doing this?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

yes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for that. I'm a novice to macros though. How would i set this up?

"DaveAsh" wrote:

How would i go about doing this?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

yes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Macros are very easy to install and use:

1. ALT-F11 brings up the VBE window
2. ALT-I
ALT-M opens a fresh module
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To use the macro from the normal Excel window:

1. ALT-F8
2. Select the macro
3. Touch Run

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE window as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

"DaveAsh" wrote:

How would i go about doing this?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

yes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

alt and F11 does not work, is there an add in i need?

"DaveAsh" wrote:

How would i go about doing this?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

yes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you quite certain? In this context, I mean to use the ALT key like a
SHIFT key. So first press the ALT key and while it is still pressed, touch
the F11 key
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

"DaveAsh" wrote:

How would i go about doing this?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

yes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, this short cut definitely doesn't work.

"DaveAsh" wrote:

How would i go about doing this?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

yes