Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SJS SJS is offline

Default Removing a character

I have a column of data that contains addresses that must have been exported
from a database, perhaps Outlook. Some of the addresses have a character at
the beginning of the string that I need to remove. It looks like an
apostrophe (') but when I do a Find I come up empty. I was hoping to do a
Find/Replace but no luck. How can I remove this nasty character?!

tks,
steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try copying the character and then paste it into the Find What box.

Select a cell with the offending character.
In the formula bar, highlight the character
Goto EditCopy
Select the range of cells where you want to do the Replace
Goto EditReplace
In the Find What box paste the character by hitting CTRL V
Replace with: nothing, leave this blank
Replace All

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sjs" wrote in message
I have a column of data that contains addresses that must have been
exported
from a database, perhaps Outlook. Some of the addresses have a character
at
the beginning of the string that I need to remove. It looks like an
apostrophe (') but when I do a Find I come up empty. I was hoping to do a
Find/Replace but no luck. How can I remove this nasty character?!

tks,
steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use a helper column with =SUBSTITUTE(A1,CODE(39),"")
The new column will be apostrophe-less
Use Copy | Paste Special and specify Value to convert all the formulas to
text
Now you can delete the original column
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sjs" wrote in message
I have a column of data that contains addresses that must have been
exported
from a database, perhaps Outlook. Some of the addresses have a character
at
the beginning of the string that I need to remove. It looks like an
apostrophe (') but when I do a Find I come up empty. I was hoping to do a
Find/Replace but no luck. How can I remove this nasty character?!

tks,
steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i read it as if u only need it to be removed only at the beginning...i hope
all adresses in your base do not include it somewhere inside a non-nasty
address...
--
regards,
driller