Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUM fx drops or adds 1 to total

Has this happened to anyone else? When I use the SUM function either auto
or manually the total result will be off by 1, sometimes 2. It is like Excel
is rounding something. I'm using Excel 2000. I even tried starting all over
with a new worksheet in a new workbook thinking the first workbook was
corrupted. But it seems that the addition glich is in all my workbooks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let's see some example of the data and the result
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"bookscoffee" wrote in message
Has this happened to anyone else? When I use the SUM function either
auto
or manually the total result will be off by 1, sometimes 2. It is like
Excel
is rounding something. I'm using Excel 2000. I even tried starting all
over
with a new worksheet in a new workbook thinking the first workbook was
corrupted. But it seems that the addition glich is in all my workbooks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you summing the results of formulas? If so what is showing on the screen
as say 129.24 may actually be 129.2362542 rounded up to 129.24. If you have
the number formatted to two decimal places it will show as 129.24 but no
matter how you format it it's still 129.2362542
What you're seeing may be all these very small amounts being included. If so
use the ROUND function to overcome this, eg
=ROUND(SUM(A1:A40),2)
Regards,
Alan.
"bookscoffee" wrote in message
Has this happened to anyone else? When I use the SUM function either
auto
or manually the total result will be off by 1, sometimes 2. It is like
Excel
is rounding something. I'm using Excel 2000. I even tried starting all
over
with a new worksheet in a new workbook thinking the first workbook was
corrupted. But it seems that the addition glich is in all my workbooks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What are then numbers in the cells that you are summing? Have they been
formatted to display to a certain decimal place? The SUM function uses the
actual value of a cell, which may or may not be the same as the displayed
value. For example:

Let's say cell A1 and A2 both contain the value 1.234
Then, cell A1 and A2 have been formatted to display to 2 decimal places.
They would look like 1.23 and 1.23.
Then, use the SUM function =SUM(A1:A2)
SUM uses the actual value of the cells 1.234 not the displayed value of 1.23.
Thus, the result would be 2.468
If the SUM cell was also formatted to 2 decimal places, then it would
display 2.47.

Now, looking only at the displayed values, 1.23 + 1.23 = 2.47, this would
appear to be incorrect. But it is correct because it is the cell formatting
that is forcing the rounding.

You can set an option in Excel to use "Precision as displayed". This uses
displayed values rather than actual values. But beware, because this can
cause problems with other calculations.

Another option, would be to perform the rounding in cells where needed using
formulas instead of cell formatting. So, for example, if cell A1 contained
the formula =B1*47% and you needed the result displayed to 2 decimal places,
don't use cell formatting, but rather change your formula to
=ROUND(B1*47%,2). That way, when you include cell A1 in your SUM formula,
the actual value and the displayed value are the same so there is no
confusion.

HTH,
Elkar