Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default MAX from different columns

Having trouble with this.
I am trying to find the MAX value from (C3:C6,F3:F5) but can't get it to work.
Essentially, it's a list split over two columns from which I'd like the Max
highlighted using conditional formatting.

Thanks
--
Traa Dy Liooar

Jock
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=MAX(C3:C7,F3:F5)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200755
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jock,

=MAX(C3:C6,F3:F5)

works fine for me

What problem do you have?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jock" wrote in message ...
| Having trouble with this.
| I am trying to find the MAX value from (C3:C6,F3:F5) but can't get it to work.
| Essentially, it's a list split over two columns from which I'd like the Max
| highlighted using conditional formatting.
|
| Thanks
| --
| Traa Dy Liooar
|
| Jock

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=MAX(C3:C6,F3:F5)

use formula is, select first F3:F5, hold down ctrl and select C3:C6, that
will make C3 the active cell then do the conditional formatting

=C3=MAX($C$3:$C$6,$F$3:$F$5)

Peo Sjoblom

"Jock" wrote in message
Having trouble with this.
I am trying to find the MAX value from (C3:C6,F3:F5) but can't get it to
work.
Essentially, it's a list split over two columns from which I'd like the
Max
highlighted using conditional formatting.

Thanks
--
Traa Dy Liooar

Jock

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nope, still can't get it to work.
Both your solution and Gary''s Students results in ALL seven possibles being
formatted (in red), whereas Peo's idea has only F3 highlighted even though
this cell doesn't contain the highest value.
Ok had a play now
It works by placing:
=C3=MAX($C$3:$C$6,$F$3:$F$5) for the firsf column, and
=F3=MAX($C$3:$C$6,$F$3:$F$5) for the other.
I've tested it and it works (for some reason!)

--
Traa Dy Liooar

Jock

"Gary''s Student" wrote: