Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting formula question

I am attempting to count the number of times a phrase occurs in a column, but
this column has reasons in a phrase dropdown list form (generated from a
hidden column on the same worksheet). Is there something I'm missing in this
formula?
(the
{=SUM(IF((E2:E20="Not chosen from list")*1,0))}

A B C D
sent back corrected Ref # Reason: (hidden
with list
1 123 Blank fields or dashes of
text choices in
1 124 Not chosen from list
dropdown in D)
1 125 Not chosen from list

Totals: Not chosen from list ____
Blank fields or dashes ____
(etc.)

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUM(IF(E2:E20="Not chosen from list",1))

ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter

or
=SUMPRODUCT(--(E2:E20="Not chosen from list"))
Just normal ENTER

"frieam05" wrote:

I am attempting to count the number of times a phrase occurs in a column, but
this column has reasons in a phrase dropdown list form (generated from a
hidden column on the same worksheet). Is there something I'm missing in this
formula?
(the
{=SUM(IF((E2:E20="Not chosen from list")*1,0))}

A B C D
sent back corrected Ref # Reason: (hidden
with list
1 123 Blank fields or dashes of
text choices in
1 124 Not chosen from list
dropdown in D)
1 125 Not chosen from list

Totals: Not chosen from list ____
Blank fields or dashes ____
(etc.)

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's another way...

=COUNTIF(E2:E20,"Not chosen from list")

Hope this helps!

In article ,
frieam05 wrote:

I am attempting to count the number of times a phrase occurs in a column, but
this column has reasons in a phrase dropdown list form (generated from a
hidden column on the same worksheet). Is there something I'm missing in this
formula?
(the
{=SUM(IF((E2:E20="Not chosen from list")*1,0))}

A B C D
sent back corrected Ref # Reason: (hidden
with list
1 123 Blank fields or dashes of
text choices in
1 124 Not chosen from list
dropdown in D)
1 125 Not chosen from list

Totals: Not chosen from list ____
Blank fields or dashes ____
(etc.)

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNTIF(A:A,"Not chosen from list")

--
If this reply was helpful, please indicate that your question has been
answered to help others find anwsers to similar questions.

www.silverbirddesigns.com

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2009