Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default vlookup and sort error

Thank you for reading...

I am having an issue with sorting by numbers:

example of issue:

58849864
55465978
54668976
54668978
54668979
55465977
55465979

For some reason it will not sort ascending correctly. Would anybody have any
ideas as to what I should try or what the issue is?

vlookup:

The issue I am having with vlookup is that I believe my formulas are all
correct and I have the data I want to refer to on the left most column.

example:
A B
1 52334231 =vlookup(A1,Customers,2,0)

I have Customers defined but all I get in B1 is N/A.
Customers looks like this:

A B
1 52334231 1122 WhereDidIGo Rd.

Any suggestions, ideas, or answers is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My guess is that your values are not numerical but text, if you widen the
column and do not use any alignment if the data is left aligned it is text,
if it is right aligned it is a number

You can also use

=ISTEXT(A1)

will return TRUE for text

To force text into numbers format as general and then copy an empty cell,
then select the text and do edit paste special and select add

Peo Sjoblom