Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cdw cdw is offline

Default Formula Help please

Column C Column D Column E
$42,368.96 Jack Smith
$153,550.00 Michelle Fuerth

Above, I have the total sales in Column C and D, with each sales person
beside in Column E. I want a formlua that will total all the sales dollars
for Michelle Fuerth into ONE CELL at the bottom of my spreadsheet (like
below). Each time I enter Michelle's name in Column E above, I want it to
automatically add that sum of dollars from C or D (same row) to her total
below.

Michelle Fuerth Total Sales $153,550.00
Jack Smith Total Sales $ 43,368.96

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Nov 7, 10:40 am, cdw wrote:
Column C Column D Column E
$42,368.96 Jack Smith
$153,550.00 Michelle Fuerth

Above, I have the total sales in Column C and D, with each sales person
beside in Column E. I want a formlua that will total all the sales dollars
for Michelle Fuerth into ONE CELL at the bottom of my spreadsheet (like
below). Each time I enter Michelle's name in Column E above, I want it to
automatically add that sum of dollars from C or D (same row) to her total
below.

Michelle Fuerth Total Sales $153,550.00
Jack Smith Total Sales $ 43,368.96

Check out the "Sumif" function, this should work.
=sumif(E1:E1000,"Michelle Fuerth",C1:C1000)+sumif(E1:E1000,"Michelle
Fuerth",D1:D1000)

hth

Carlo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you use a pivot table to do this, the only additional step is to
refresh it after data entry. You can use a GETPIVOTDATA() function to
get the information anywhere in your workbook (in case you put the
pivot table on a different sheet), and you have the added bonus of a
convenient pivot report for easy formatting and presentation.

But, the trick is to remember to refresh the pivot table.