Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default alphabetical sort

If I have a list of text in column 'C' sorted alphabetically, ascending, is
it possible to show, in 'B', the first instance/occurance of each letter from
column 'C'? IE:

F Free
Four
Five
G Grand

Thanks
--
Traa Dy Liooar

Jock
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming that C2:C5 contains the data, try...

B2, copied down:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(C2,$C$1:C1,0)),LEFT(C2),"")

Hope this helps!

On Nov 1, 12:47 pm, Jock wrote:
If I have a list of text in column 'C' sorted alphabetically, ascending, is
it possible to show, in 'B', the first instance/occurance of each letter from
column 'C'? IE:

F Free
Four
Five
G Grand

Thanks
--
Traa Dy Liooar

Jock

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In B1:

=LEFT(C1,1)

In B2:

=IF(LEFT(C2,1)=LEFT(C1,1),"",LEFT(C2,1))

Copy down as far as needed

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jock" wrote in message ...
| If I have a list of text in column 'C' sorted alphabetically, ascending, is
| it possible to show, in 'B', the first instance/occurance of each letter from
| column 'C'? IE:
|
| F Free
| Four
| Five
| G Grand
|
| Thanks
| --
| Traa Dy Liooar
|
| Jock

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Niek.
--
Traa Dy Liooar

Jock

"Niek Otten" wrote:

In B1:

=LEFT(C1,1)

In B2:

=IF(LEFT(C2,1)=LEFT(C1,1),"",LEFT(C2,1))

Copy down as far as needed

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten