Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel - Summing common cell over mutiple sheets within a file?

Anyone know how to write a command to add common cells across mutiple sheet?

Example: I would like to add the contents of cell D15 form individual sheets
Jan, Feb, Mar, ..... Dec.

Is there a way to set the range across sheets just as is possible across
cells in a single sheet?

Obviously this could be done in the tedious process of
"=+Jan!D15+Feb!D15....+Dec!D15 but this can't be readily copied to another
cel without requiring major editing.

LOTUS 123 had such a feature if anyone remembers that software. I do not
recall the exact commands but it was possible to sum a cell or range of cells
over a range of sheets with a simple command string that could be copied to
sum other cells without having to write a equation as above.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Great! Thanks. That is very similar to how Lotus handled the task. I must
have over looked this in studying the manual. Have a great day.

Bill Engle

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

one way:

=SUM('Jan:Dec'!D15)

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Anyone know how to write a command to add common cells across mutiple sheet?

Example: I would like to add the contents of cell D15 form individual sheets
Jan, Feb, Mar, ..... Dec.

Is there a way to set the range across sheets just as is possible across
cells in a single sheet?

Obviously this could be done in the tedious process of
"=+Jan!D15+Feb!D15....+Dec!D15 but this can't be readily copied to another
cel without requiring major editing.

LOTUS 123 had such a feature if anyone remembers that software. I do not
recall the exact commands but it was possible to sum a cell or range of cells
over a range of sheets with a simple command string that could be copied to
sum other cells without having to write a equation as above.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello,
Is there a way to do this and included non contiguous sheets also?

e.g.the equivalent of =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet4,Sheet7,Sheet9!A1:A10) etc

To find the totals of A1:10 in sheets 1,2,3,4,7,9 of a workbook.

I can do it the long way round,
=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet4!A1:A10,Sheet7!A1:A10,Sheet9!A1: A10) but when using a
formula, I cannot use CTRL to select a standalone sheet, thouhg you can when
selecting multiple sheets not in a formula

With the number of sheets available in Office 2007, linking all the cells
across (very badly designed, but unfortunately sacrosanct) workbooks each tme
gets tedious.

Thankyou kindly
KeLee

"Bill" wrote:

Anyone know how to write a command to add common cells across mutiple sheet?

Example: I would like to add the contents of cell D15 form individual sheets
Jan, Feb, Mar, ..... Dec.

Is there a way to set the range across sheets just as is possible across
cells in a single sheet?

Obviously this could be done in the tedious process of
"=+Jan!D15+Feb!D15....+Dec!D15 but this can't be readily copied to another
cel without requiring major editing.

LOTUS 123 had such a feature if anyone remembers that software. I do not
recall the exact commands but it was possible to sum a cell or range of cells
over a range of sheets with a simple command string that could be copied to
sum other cells without having to write a equation as above.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

one way:

=SUM('Jan:Dec'!D15)

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Anyone know how to write a command to add common cells across mutiple sheet?

Example: I would like to add the contents of cell D15 form individual sheets
Jan, Feb, Mar, ..... Dec.

Is there a way to set the range across sheets just as is possible across
cells in a single sheet?

THANKS for the great reply!!! I too am an old Lotus user and just spent too
many minutes trying to do this function with my new Excel program ....
sheesh, so easy once you see a fabulous example!