Edmdas

Default Average form cells containing formulas?

I have set up a Markbook which calculates levels for test scores.
In Cell B3 is the test score for an individual student in cell B4 I have the
following formula:
=IF(B3<6,"2",IF(B3<11,"3", IF(B3<15,"4",IF(B3<20,"5","6"))))
This pattern is repeated along the row with alternate test scores and
formula cells which give the corresponding level.
As each test requires different scores for a given level the numbers vary
slightly.
I have five test scores (ten cells of data).
I would like to average the levels (not the test scores) I have.
In the last cell of the row I have entered the formula:
=AVERAGE(C3,E3,G3,I3,K3)
But all I get is the Div/0 result.
I have tried, F2, Ctrl, SHIFT, ENTER for the level cells and the Average
cell but this has not worked.
There must be an easy way round this?
Any help would be appreciated, feeling rather dumb :)
Biff

Hi!

Try removing the quotes from your
values "2", "3", "4", "5", "6"

When you enclose numbers in quotes Excel treats it as TEXT
and as a result the AVERAGE function ignores TEXT.

Biff

[...]

.

edmdas

WOW! Works a treat. So simple and so fast.
Knew it must be simple, learn something new everyday.
Thanks a great help!
:)

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

edmdas

Yep that works as well, although I'm not too familar with the LOOKUP
function, need to do some more homework.
What I forgot is that some students have missed tests so I have some Zero's
in my results.
Used this formula:
=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(B3:K3),2)=1,IF(B3:K3<0,B3: K3)))
Which strangley works.
Is there a simpler method using the LOOKUP function?
Thanks

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Aladin Akyurek

The following LOOKUP formula would avoid generating figures for empty
cells or cells with 0 scores...

=LOOKUP(B3,{0,"";2.229E-308,2;6,3;11,4;15,5;20,6})

which would allow you to use an ordinary formula for averaging.

Does it work for you?

[...]

edmdas

Yes that works for me as well.
Thanks to both of you for your help, you've been great.
I will be sharing this around my department, will save a lot of time.
:)