Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jen Jen is offline

Default Neative Formula

Hope this is easy (for you). Haven't used excel in a long time and need to
create simple formula and can't figure it out.

Example: I want to show value as zero if addition comes out negative.

12000.00 -10000.00 = (2000.00) but I want the value to be zero not the
negative value.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Without creating a custom number format, you could use a formula like this,
assuming the two numbers are cells A1 and A2
=IF(A1-A2<0,0,A1-A2)

"jen" wrote:

Hope this is easy (for you). Haven't used excel in a long time and need to
create simple formula and can't figure it out.

Example: I want to show value as zero if addition comes out negative.

12000.00 -10000.00 = (2000.00) but I want the value to be zero not the
negative value.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your formula is =A1-A2, change it to =MAX(0,A1-A2)
Remember, of course that your example of 12000 - 10000 gives an answer of
+2000, not -2000.
--
David Biddulph

"jen" wrote in message
Hope this is easy (for you). Haven't used excel in a long time and need
create simple formula and can't figure it out.

Example: I want to show value as zero if addition comes out negative.

12000.00 -10000.00 = (2000.00) but I want the value to be zero not the
negative value.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The MAX formula that both David Biddulph and RagDyeR provided should work
also, and are probably faster in coming up with the result. That would be of
benefit if you have lots of these formulas being calculated.

"jen" wrote:

Thanks it worked.

"jen" wrote:

Hope this is easy (for you). Haven't used excel in a long time and need to
create simple formula and can't figure it out.

Example: I want to show value as zero if addition comes out negative.

12000.00 -10000.00 = (2000.00) but I want the value to be zero not the
negative value.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Negative Formula

1. I have the same problem, where a negative number is nonsense and show
should as zero.

2. I think you meant 10,000 - 12,000 = (2,000)?