Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default hyperlink, macro, stored procedure?

My company wants seomthing in Excel which appears over my head and I was
wondering if someone could help. In this case we are using Excel as an index
to list all of our projects. In one column of the index is a hyperlink to
the Project Profile for that record/project. This Profile currently comes
from a Word template (can be transferred to Excel if it makes this process
easier)

We want the user to enter a new project, get to the hyperlink cell and by
selecting the cell hyperlink to a template that will be saved as a different
name (for this project) and then the new file name would be the hyperlink. .
So that the next time somone clicks on the hyperlink they get the profile
for this project NOT the template. The next new record would hyperlink to
the template and be saved as another name, etcIs there a way to do this?

Ultimately they would like all of the fields in Excel to populate the tables
in the Word file but this is WAAAY over my head so for now they will have to
re-enter.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What does your template in Word look like? Can it easily be
transferred into an Excel sheet? If it can, then you can have a series
of hyperlinks in a Contents sheet, which allows you to jump to the
appropriate sheet for each project (I'm thinking that the sheets would
be contained within the one file - is it important that they are
separate files, and if so, would they all be saved within the same
folder?)

Pete

On Oct 22, 2:44 pm, JICDB wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I was trying to keep it in Word because the users are more famaliar with a
word processesor but I switched it to Excel based on your suggestion and it
works great because I can use look up tables to populate some of the fields
from the index. You have to first understand that I work for a puplic agency
which is behind in technology about 20 years. We just got Microsoft Office
about 3 years ago. (scary huh?) So I need to make this process as idiot
proof as possible.

There will be hundreds of projects and we really do want each to have its
own file. So I recorded a macro which moves a copy of the Excel template
into its own document where the user can then save it. There will be one
folder on a common drive where they should be filed.

I'm still having issues with the hyperlink. I searched this Microsoft
Community help site and found that if I put =Hyperlink in front of my link
and put quotes around the address and familair name, I can get the link to
work. The user will be adding their own hyperlink and I'm trying to make this
a little less technical for the user. Possible with a macro?

On Oct 22, 2:44 pm, JICDB wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have a look at Hyperlink in Excel Help - you will see that you can
have two parameters in the function. The first one is the actual link,
but the second (optional) one is a friendly name that appears in the
cell. This could be the Project Name so it is more understandable by
your Users, and the first is the path/filename/cell that you want to
jump to. You can build both up as strings in your macro and then
insert the formula at the appropriate place.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 22, 2:44 pm, JICDB wrote:
[...]

re-enter. - Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I transfered the template to Excel - which worked great! And used the help to
set up the hyperlink with both pieces. It works great. What I did to make
it easy for users is set one of the hyperlinks up myself, put an apostrophe
in the front of the formula and let the users copy and paste the hyperlink
into the next cell. Then the user just adjusts the file name (because the
file location is the same). All in all a great collaboration that worked
great! Thanks guys!!