Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excluding only leading or trailing cells from a column

I have a column, say A, that I want to SUM(). I want to avoid including A1:A3
in this sum - unfortunately, the length of the data in the column at any time
is indeterminate. So I can't SUM(A4:AX)... And I can't SUM(A4:A), although
that seems intuitive to me.

Help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Would =SUM(A:A)-SUM(A1:A3) work?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PaladinWhite" wrote in message
I have a column, say A, that I want to SUM(). I want to avoid including
A1:A3
in this sum - unfortunately, the length of the data in the column at any
time
is indeterminate. So I can't SUM(A4:AX)... And I can't SUM(A4:A), although
that seems intuitive to me.

Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Or possibly =SUM($A$4:INDEX(A:A,ROW()-1))

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:47:06 -0300, "Bernard Liengme"
wrote:

Would =SUM(A:A)-SUM(A1:A3) work?
best wishes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excluding only leading or trailing cells from a column

You've explained about excluding the leading cells A1:A3 but what do you
mean when you say exclude trailing cells? What trailing cells?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PaladinWhite" wrote in message
I have a column, say A, that I want to SUM(). I want to avoid including
A1:A3
in this sum - unfortunately, the length of the data in the column at any
time
is indeterminate. So I can't SUM(A4:AX)... And I can't SUM(A4:A), although
that seems intuitive to me.

Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

D'oh - I can't believe something that simple eluded my grasp. That's
precisely what I need to do. Thanks.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Would =SUM(A:A)-SUM(A1:A3) work?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"PaladinWhite" wrote in message
I have a column, say A, that I want to SUM(). I want to avoid including
A1:A3
in this sum - unfortunately, the length of the data in the column at any
time
is indeterminate. So I can't SUM(A4:AX)... And I can't SUM(A4:A), although
that seems intuitive to me.

Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, I guess the title was a bit misleading. The "or trailing" part was
simply tacked on because I initially thought the solution would probably be
similar whether the cells to be excluded were leading or trailing - now that
I think about it, if I needed to exclude trailing cells, I would already know
the length of the data column, and I could just use SUM(A1:AX).

"T. Valko" wrote:

Excluding only leading or trailing cells from a column

You've explained about excluding the leading cells A1:A3 but what do you
mean when you say exclude trailing cells? What trailing cells?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PaladinWhite" wrote in message
I have a column, say A, that I want to SUM(). I want to avoid including
A1:A3
in this sum - unfortunately, the length of the data in the column at any
time
is indeterminate. So I can't SUM(A4:AX)... And I can't SUM(A4:A), although
that seems intuitive to me.

Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, thanks for the clarification.