Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Changing - to ()

I trying to change -3210 to (3120) but can't find how to do it. Can anyone
help me? I'm using the 2003 version. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the cell, then goto Menu FormatCellsCustom, and add 0;(0)

--
HTH

Bob

"Sarah" wrote in message
I trying to change -3210 to (3120) but can't find how to do it. Can anyone
help me? I'm using the 2003 version. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Put -1 in a cell and copy it. Select the cell with -3210 in and then

Edit|Paste special
Select multiply and OK.
Delete the cell with -1 in

Mike

"Sarah" wrote:

I trying to change -3210 to (3120) but can't find how to do it. Can anyone
help me? I'm using the 2003 version. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Click Format Cells Number tab
Choose Number under "Category", set the dp to zero,
select the desired bracket format from the list under "Negative numbers" OK
--
Max
Singapore
"Sarah" wrote:
I trying to change -3210 to (3120) but can't find how to do it. Can anyone
help me? I'm using the 2003 version. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mike that didn't work. I got 1,716,536,781,789

I just want to put brackets round my minus number but all I get is the minus
sign. Any more ideas??

"Sarah" wrote:

I trying to change -3210 to (3120) but can't find how to do it. Can anyone
help me? I'm using the 2003 version. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sarah,

I may have confused you with my first and incorrect post.

With the number -1234 in a cell select that cell then:-
Format|Cell|Number
Select custom and paste in the formula
0_);(0)
Click OK and theminus sign will turn to (1234)

Mike

"Sarah" wrote:

I trying to change -3210 to (3120) but can't find how to do it. Can anyone
help me? I'm using the 2003 version. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Max wrote:
Click Format Cells Number tab
Choose Number under "Category", set the dp to zero,
select the desired bracket format from the list under "Negative numbers" OK
I trying to change -3210 to (3120) but can't find how to do it. Can anyone
help me? I'm using the 2003 version. Thanks

Hi ,
Click Format Cells Custom and type #,##0;(#,# # 0) in Type..Press OK and
that's done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

"sidm" <u38329@uwe wrote in message news:79d3aaec40511@uwe...
Click Format Cells Custom and type #,##0;(#,# # 0) in Type..Press OK
and
that's done.

Is the above preferable to the simple menu command in Format Cells for the
OP's purpose here, I wonder ?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Max wrote:
Click Format Cells Custom and type #,##0;(#,# # 0) in Type..Press OK
and
that's done.

Is the above preferable to the simple menu command in Format Cells for the
OP's purpose here, I wonder ?

I tried your method ,it does not work on my excel 2003 SP2.It would have been
simpler though.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

"sidm" <u38329@uwe wrote
I tried your method ,it does not work on my excel 2003 SP2.
It would have been simpler though.

I'm using xl2003, too

Wonder which part of my response doesn't work for you?:
Click Format Cells Number tab
Choose Number under "Category", set the dp to zero,
select the desired bracket format
from the list under "Negative numbers" OK

Over here, under "Negative numbers",
for the bracket format,
I can click to select either:
(1234)
(1234) [in red]
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If negative brackets are not available in the NumberNegative Numbers dialog.

This is a function of your Regional Settings in Windows OS.

StartSettingsControl PanelRegional and Language SettingsRegional
OptionsCustomizeCurrencyNegative Currency Format. Click on drop-down arrow
and select the ($1.1)

Note: this is under the "Currency" tab in Regional Options. Changing under
the "Numbers" tab only does not do the trick.

Apply and OKApply your way out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:22:03 -0700, Sarah
wrote:

I just want to put brackets round my minus number but all I get is the minus
sign. Any more ideas??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Ah, I see Gord's posting in the other branch.
It's something to do with regional settings
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Max wrote:
Ah, I see Gord's posting in the other branch.
It's something to do with regional settings

I think that might be the case as well..Thanks for the input.