Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Macro needed for assigning serial numbers

I need a macro that can enter a serial number in a given row in column A
based upon whether or not there is an entry in the same row in column B.
There are often a number of blank spaces between the entries in column B.

To make matters worse, the number needs to increase by one with each
occurrence.

Is there a macro like this floating around anywhere?

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm a newbie, and am faced with the prospect
of sorting through 60,000 rows, one entry at a time. My boss is growing
impatient :-(

jdh
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One idea ..
Put in A2: =IF(B2="","",COUNTA(B$2:B2))
Copy down as far as needed
--
Max
Singapore
"D Hart" wrote:
I need a macro that can enter a serial number in a given row in column A
based upon whether or not there is an entry in the same row in column B.
There are often a number of blank spaces between the entries in column B.

To make matters worse, the number needs to increase by one with each
occurrence.

Is there a macro like this floating around anywhere?

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm a newbie, and am faced with the prospect
of sorting through 60,000 rows, one entry at a time. My boss is growing
impatient :-(

jdh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can do this without a macro, but does your serial number have any
specific conventions attached to it?

For example - is it purely numeric, or a mixture of numbers and
letters? Is it a fixed number of characters/digits, with leading zeros
where necessary (eg 0000001, rather than just 1)? Will it start with 1
and increment by 1 each time? Is the order of your 60,000 rows
important to the numbering?

Also, what columns are occupied by your data, i.e. what is the next
free column?

Pete