Old March 5th 05, 03:35 AM
Robbie in Houston

Default =IF logical test to search only part of a cell

I am trying to get the =IF function to test only part of a cell as the
logical test. I am trying to create an Invoice template for online sales.
I will only be charging sales tax for Texas residents. I need the tax
formula to only calculate tax if the state is Texas. I do not want to
separate the City, State and Zip as they are currently a single cell. For
instance,

F4 Houston, Texas 77003
F27 =SUM(F18:F26)
F28 8.25 [Format-Percentage]
F29 =F27*F28

For F29, I have tried =IF(F4="*Texas*", F27*F28, 0) but got no results. Can
I make the formula work to look for Texas only? Or is there a better way to
go about this?

Old March 5th 05, 03:56 AM
CLR

If the format of F4 will always be, "CityName, Texas Zipcode",
then.........this formula should work in F29.

=IF(MID(F4,FIND(",",F4,1)+2,5)="Texas",F27*F28,0)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Old March 5th 05, 05:09 AM
Biff

Hi!

Another method that's a little more robust:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("texas",F4)),F27*F28,0)

Biff

.