Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Search and go to cell

Hi all,

I have workbook of names and some information for them all. The first
worksheet is a Contents page.

On that contents page I want people to be able to enter in a persons name
and have excel search (and goto, or bring the infromation to) a name/cell.

The names are all in the same colums (B and C) and the infromation goes on
for quite a few rows. Not somehting I've done before, any suggestion how I
might go about it.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It sounds as if vlookup will do what you want but the information you give
isn't enough to write a formula so for now have a look at the general syntax
of vlookup and see of this helps:-

=VLOOKUP(E1,A1:D18,4,FALSE)

That formula takes the value in E1 (Your name) and looks for a match for
that name in A1 to A18. If it finds an exact match it returns the value from
Column D (column 4 of the array) in the same row.

Mike

"furby" wrote:

Hi all,

I have workbook of names and some information for them all. The first
worksheet is a Contents page.

On that contents page I want people to be able to enter in a persons name
and have excel search (and goto, or bring the infromation to) a name/cell.

The names are all in the same colums (B and C) and the infromation goes on
for quite a few rows. Not somehting I've done before, any suggestion how I
might go about it.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Mike,

I seem to be having a bit of trouble mkaing it work but that seems to be
what I'm looking for. A little more time and I'm sure I'll get it.

Shouls this work across multiple worksheets (in the same workbok)?