Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default maximum over a non continuous range

I want to find the maximum over a non continuous range of cells. I
know how to do it if they are continuous but I don't if they are not.

For instance I want to find the maximum of the values in C5 E5 & G5
but ignore the intervening cells

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, if you didn't simplify your example just for this posting, you could
specify each cell individually like this...

=MAX(C5,E5,G5)

or you could select the cells, give them a name (such as MyRange) and then
do this...

=MAX(MyRange)

or, it appears that you could do this also...

=MAX(C5:G5)

Rick

I want to find the maximum over a non continuous range of cells. I
know how to do it if they are continuous but I don't if they are not.

For instance I want to find the maximum of the values in C5 E5 & G5
but ignore the intervening cells

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=MAX(C5,E5,G5)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 9:18 am, david wrote:
I want to find the maximum over a non continuous range of cells. I
know how to do it if they are continuous but I don't if they are not.

For instance I want to find the maximum of the values in C5 E5 & G5
but ignore the intervening cells

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Simple way

=MAX(C5,E5,G5)

if the range will be much larger, try

=MAX(IF(MOD(COLUMN(C5:G5),2)=1,C5:G5))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

--
HTH

Bob

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to find the maximum over a non continuous range of cells. I
know how to do it if they are continuous but I don't if they are not.

For instance I want to find the maximum of the values in C5 E5 & G5
but ignore the intervening cells

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Pete

David

On Oct 2, 8:46 am, Pete_UK wrote:
Try this:

=MAX(C5,E5,G5)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 9:18 am, david wrote:

I want to find the maximum over a non continuous range of cells. I
know how to do it if they are continuous but I don't if they are not.

For instance I want to find the maximum of the values in C5 E5 & G5
but ignore the intervening cells

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, David - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Oct 2, 9:51 am, david wrote:
Thanks Pete

David

On Oct 2, 8:46 am, Pete_UK wrote:

Try this:

=MAX(C5,E5,G5)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 9:18 am, david wrote:

I want to find the maximum over a non continuous range of cells. I
know how to do it if they are continuous but I don't if they are not.

For instance I want to find the maximum of the values in C5 E5 & G5
but ignore the intervening cells

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks to all - at least this is one of my problems solved.

David

On 2 Oct, 10:18, Pete_UK wrote:
You're welcome, David - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Oct 2, 9:51 am, david wrote:

Thanks Pete

David