Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Picking up part of a formula from another cell

Can someone help please - I know Excel can do this because I have done
it before but have forgotten how (I blame my age!!)

I want to have a formula in a cell that picks up the letter part of
the cell reference from another cell.

ie I want to do a countif a cell range equals 1 where the column
letter of the start of the cell range and the end of the cell range
come from two separate cells.

This is so I can modify just those two cells and automatically update
all the formulae in the worksheet.

I am working with both Excel 2000 & 2003

Thanks

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have a look at the INDIRECT function in Excel Help - this will allow
you to do what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 9:16 am, david wrote:
Can someone help please - I know Excel can do this because I have done
it before but have forgotten how (I blame my age!!)

I want to have a formula in a cell that picks up the letter part of
the cell reference from another cell.

ie I want to do a countif a cell range equals 1 where the column
letter of the start of the cell range and the end of the cell range
come from two separate cells.

This is so I can modify just those two cells and automatically update
all the formulae in the worksheet.

I am working with both Excel 2000 & 2003

Thanks

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry - I am being particulary thick!!

In the formula below I want the start letter of the range to come from
A9 and the end letter from b9.

The count will run between the intervening columns for row 13 only.

Could I please be a pain and ask for the full format.

Thanks

David

On 2 Oct, 09:46, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
=COUNTIF(INDIRECT(M1&":"&N1),1)

--
HTH

Bob

"david" wrote in message

oups.com...

Can someone help please - I know Excel can do this because I have done
it before but have forgotten how (I blame my age!!)

I want to have a formula in a cell that picks up the letter part of
the cell reference from another cell.

ie I want to do a countif a cell range equals 1 where the column
letter of the start of the cell range and the end of the cell range
come from two separate cells.

This is so I can modify just those two cells and automatically update
all the formulae in the worksheet.

I am working with both Excel 2000 & 2003

Thanks

David- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this then:

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT(A9&"13:"&B9&"13"),1)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 4:12 pm, david wrote:
Sorry - I am being particulary thick!!

In the formula below I want the start letter of the range to come from
A9 and the end letter from b9.

The count will run between the intervening columns for row 13 only.

Could I please be a pain and ask for the full format.

Thanks

David

On 2 Oct, 09:46, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT(M1&":"&N1),1)

--
HTH

Bob

"david" wrote in message

roups.com...

Can someone help please - I know Excel can do this because I have done
it before but have forgotten how (I blame my age!!)

I want to have a formula in a cell that picks up the letter part of
the cell reference from another cell.

ie I want to do a countif a cell range equals 1 where the column
letter of the start of the cell range and the end of the cell range
come from two separate cells.

This is so I can modify just those two cells and automatically update
all the formulae in the worksheet.

I am working with both Excel 2000 & 2003

Thanks

David- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The INDIRECT function takes a text string as its input, so you need to
generate the appropriate text string for your range.

If you are trying to produce the formula =COUNTIF(D13:Z13,1) by putting the
D in A9, and the Z in B9, try the formula:
=COUNTIF(INDIRECT(A9&"13:"&B9&"13"),1)
--
David Biddulph

"david" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry - I am being particulary thick!!

In the formula below I want the start letter of the range to come from
A9 and the end letter from b9.

The count will run between the intervening columns for row 13 only.

Could I please be a pain and ask for the full format.

Thanks

David

On 2 Oct, 09:46, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
=COUNTIF(INDIRECT(M1&":"&N1),1)

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"david" wrote in message

oups.com...

Can someone help please - I know Excel can do this because I have done
it before but have forgotten how (I blame my age!!)

I want to have a formula in a cell that picks up the letter part of
the cell reference from another cell.

ie I want to do a countif a cell range equals 1 where the column
letter of the start of the cell range and the end of the cell range
come from two separate cells.

This is so I can modify just those two cells and automatically update
all the formulae in the worksheet.

I am working with both Excel 2000 & 2003

Thanks

David- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks to all

David

On 2 Oct, 17:01, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote:
The INDIRECT function takes a text string as its input, so you need to
generate the appropriate text string for your range.

If you are trying to produce the formula =COUNTIF(D13:Z13,1) by putting the
D in A9, and the Z in B9, try the formula:
=COUNTIF(INDIRECT(A9&"13:"&B9&"13"),1)
--
David Biddulph

"david" wrote in message

ups.com...

Sorry - I am being particulary thick!!

In the formula below I want the start letter of the range to come from
A9 and the end letter from b9.

The count will run between the intervening columns for row 13 only.

Could I please be a pain and ask for the full format.

Thanks

David

On 2 Oct, 09:46, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
=COUNTIF(INDIRECT(M1&":"&N1),1)