Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula question

Hi there, im tring to write a formula to look at data from another worksheet
at every 3rd column so that I would have the following;

Sheet 1 A1 = Sheet 2 D14
A2 = G14
A3 = J14
A4 = M14 ETC...

Any help would be great :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Scott R" wrote...
Hi there, im tring to write a formula to look at data from another
worksheet at every 3rd column so that I would have the following;

Sheet 1 A1 = Sheet 2 D14
A2 = G14
A3 = J14
A4 = M14 ETC...

Sheet1!A1:
=INDEX(Sheet2!$14:$14,1+3*ROWS(A$1:A1))

Fill Sheet1!A1 down as far as needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you cut and paste the formula directly from Harlan's message, or did you
try to retype it?
Do you want to copy and paste the formula back from your formula bar to
here?

Is your Sheet2 actually named Sheet2? If it is Sheet 2 with a space, try
=INDEX('Sheet 2'!$14:$14,1+3*ROWS(A$1:A1))
--
David Biddulph

"Scott R" wrote in message
I put that formula in and it said there was an error, when i click ok it
refers back to the 1st of the 14's in the formula? Am i doing something
wrong?

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

"Scott R" wrote...
Hi there, im tring to write a formula to look at data from another
worksheet at every 3rd column so that I would have the following;

Sheet 1 A1 = Sheet 2 D14
A2 = G14
A3 = J14
A4 = M14 ETC...

Sheet1!A1:
=INDEX(Sheet2!$14:$14,1+3*ROWS(A$1:A1))

Fill Sheet1!A1 down as far as needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David ive completely stuffed this up. this is what I need.
D5 (sheet 1) = D14 (sheet 2)
F5 = G14
H5 = J14 etc..
I pasted the formula in but it gives me the value from D14 for all cells
that i copy the formula into??

"Scott R" wrote in message
I put that formula in and it said there was an error, when i click ok it
refers back to the 1st of the 14's in the formula? Am i doing something
wrong?

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

"Scott R" wrote...
Hi there, im tring to write a formula to look at data from another
worksheet at every 3rd column so that I would have the following;

Sheet 1 A1 = Sheet 2 D14
A2 = G14
A3 = J14
A4 = M14 ETC...

Sheet1!A1:
=INDEX(Sheet2!$14:$14,1+3*ROWS(A$1:A1))

Fill Sheet1!A1 down as far as needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks guys, the formula worked, (i was doing it wrong).
Cheers

Scott

"Scott R" wrote in message
I put that formula in and it said there was an error, when i click ok it
refers back to the 1st of the 14's in the formula? Am i doing something
wrong?

"Scott R" wrote...