Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Custom Cell Format in a List

I have a worksheet which is formatted as a list, so that I have the little
filters at the top of each column. It is great, except I cannot get "Custom
Cell Format" to work in it. Are they incompatible?

For example, I have a column of account numbers, which always have 4
numbers, a hypen, and then 5 numbers or letters. I try the custom number
format
XXXX"-"XXXXX
which works outside of the list, but it will not take affect in the list. Is
there anything I can do?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In a list created from DataCreate List

The custom format ####"-"##### works for me if the accounts do not have any
text.

123456789 returns 1234-456789

1234567RE returns 1234567RE

I have no idea why your XXXX"-"XXXXX would work anywhere or are the "X"'s a
typo?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:07:01 -0700, Courtney
wrote:

I have a worksheet which is formatted as a list, so that I have the little
filters at the top of each column. It is great, except I cannot get "Custom
Cell Format" to work in it. Are they incompatible?

For example, I have a column of account numbers, which always have 4
numbers, a hypen, and then 5 numbers or letters. I try the custom number
format
XXXX"-"XXXXX
which works outside of the list, but it will not take affect in the list. Is
there anything I can do?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay, I feel stupid--I must have used the ## outside of my list and XX
inside, duh!

But I would still like to be able to have letters or numbers after the
hypen, do you know a way to do that? 99% of what I put in that column has
letters.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this!