Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLookup Function ?

Hi,

I feel like an idiot but I couldn't do something that should be easy. I
have columns in a spreadsheet like the ones below. I want to find all of the
items with a "1" in the left hand column and total the corresponding values
in the right hand column. I've been trying to figure this out with one of
the lookup features and I'm lost. Can somebody help? Thanks a ton.

1 16
1 10
5 48
1 15
3 41
1 26
3 42
3 34
1 22

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Give this formula a try...

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A9=1)*B1:B9)

Note that I assumed the "1" you are searching on is a number, not text. If
it is in fact text, then use "1" instead of 1.

Rick

I feel like an idiot but I couldn't do something that should be easy. I
have columns in a spreadsheet like the ones below. I want to find all of
the
items with a "1" in the left hand column and total the corresponding
values
in the right hand column. I've been trying to figure this out with one of
the lookup features and I'm lost. Can somebody help? Thanks a ton.

1 16
1 10
5 48
1 15
3 41
1 26
3 42
3 34
1 22

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rick,

Thanks a TON. I'm trying to rate your post too and they don't make it that
easy. I will figure that out.

Mark

"Mark B." wrote:

Hi,

I feel like an idiot but I couldn't do something that should be easy. I
have columns in a spreadsheet like the ones below. I want to find all of the
items with a "1" in the left hand column and total the corresponding values
in the right hand column. I've been trying to figure this out with one of
the lookup features and I'm lost. Can somebody help? Thanks a ton.

1 16
1 10
5 48
1 15
3 41
1 26
3 42
3 34
1 22

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks a TON. I'm trying to rate your post too and they don't
make it that easy. I will figure that out.

You are welcome. What do you mean by "rate [my] post"? Rate it where? With
whom?

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's another one:

=SUMIF(A1:A9,1,B1:B9)

Rick...I'm trying to rate your post too and they don't make it that
easy. I will figure that out.

I'll rate it for you.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mark B." wrote:

Hi,

I feel like an idiot but I couldn't do something that should be easy. I
have columns in a spreadsheet like the ones below. I want to find all of
the
items with a "1" in the left hand column and total the corresponding
values
in the right hand column. I've been trying to figure this out with one
of
the lookup features and I'm lost. Can somebody help? Thanks a ton.

1 16
1 10
5 48
1 15
3 41
1 26
3 42
3 34
1 22

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Thanks a TON. I'm trying to rate your post too and they don't
make it that easy. I will figure that out.

You are welcome. What do you mean by "rate [my] post"? Rate it where? With
whom?

Rick

People that access through the MS web interface can rate the replies as
helpful or not.

As an MVP you can also rate the replies as having answered the question or
not.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks a TON. I'm trying to rate your post too and they don't
make it that easy. I will figure that out.

You are welcome. What do you mean by "rate [my] post"? Rate it where?
With whom?

People that access through the MS web interface can rate the replies as
helpful or not.

As an MVP you can also rate the replies as having answered the question or
not.

Interesting... I've been answering questions on newsgroups for about 8 years
now and this is the first I've heard of this (of course, I don't use the MS
web interface for my newsgroup interaction). Where do these ratings "go"; I
mean, are they looked at and, if so, by whom (and how, if at all, do these
ratings affect me)? Is there a place I can go to see all my ratings?

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know all the particulars because I rarely post through the web
interface (any more)...

If you're a registered user of the web interface and someone rates your
reply as helpful then the reply is marked and the more helpful ratings you
get you're then awarded as a "medal" level contributor and a little icon
will appear next to your name. The levels are Gold, Silver and Bronze. This
let's posters know your replies have been helpful to others and you're a
credible source.

Registered MVPs that post through the web have an MVP icon appearing next to
their names.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the info Biff. I just took a quick look via the web interface...
since I am not registered, I have no "medal" level listed and there is no
MVP icon either.

Rick