Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Complex Lookup question.

I have to do a complex lookup. Here are the excel tables involved:

Table 1

Name Age Status
Jim 25 MNS
Mary 38 FS

Table 2

Band Age_lower Age_upper MS MNS FS FNS
1 0 18 0.25 0.2 0.18 0.14
2 19 29 1.25 1.2 1.18 1.14
3 30 39 2.25 2.2 2.18 2.14
4 40 49 3.25 3.2 3.18 3.14
5 50 59 4.25 4.2 4.18 4.14

Here is what I have to do:

1) Based on the age of the individual in Table 1 I need to determine the
Band in Table 2 - this is determined by looking at their age and finding
which row their age is between Age_lower and Age_upper.

2) Once I found the Band I then look at their Status in Table 1 and then
find select the appropriate value from the Band row in table 2

For example, for Jim in Table 1 he would fall in Band 2 and based on his
status of MNS the value selected would be 1.2 (from row2,col5 in Table 2).
Mary would be band 3 and value of 2.14.

Is this possible with one formula? Please let me know.

Thanks, Attila
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=INDEX(Table2, MATCH(B2,OFFSET(Table2,1,1,,1),TRUE)+1,
MATCH(C2,OFFSET(Table2,,,1,),FALSE))

This assumes that table 2 is named Table2 (including the header row and
band column), that B2 refers to the Age in Table 1, and C2 is the Status.

Note that it will give a bad result if Age is the maximum Age_Upper.