Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using data validation

I'm trying to set up a function in "data validation", "other".

=IF(OR(H1="Agency",H1="Employee Traveler")," ",0.5)

So far this works. However, I want to modify it to allow the user to input
any amount if it returns false. Is there a way to do this within the
function above or do I need to delve more into VBA?

Any amount of help would be grand.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JNW JNW is offline

Go to the Error message tab. Would unchecking the error option do what you
are looking for?

If not, what cell is the validation in?
--
JNW

"excel-chump" wrote:

I'm trying to set up a function in "data validation", "other".

=IF(OR(H1="Agency",H1="Employee Traveler")," ",0.5)

So far this works. However, I want to modify it to allow the user to input
any amount if it returns false. Is there a way to do this within the
function above or do I need to delve more into VBA?

Any amount of help would be grand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not sure I explained it properly. I want to replace the "0.5" in the
statement with an option that allows ANY number, in currency format, to be
entered in cell H2 (H2 is where the data validation function is located.)
The function I listed below is currently working. Would a wildcard allow the
user to input data in H2?

"excel-chump" wrote:

I'm trying to set up a function in "data validation", "other".

=IF(OR(H1="Agency",H1="Employee Traveler")," ",0.5)

So far this works. However, I want to modify it to allow the user to input
any amount if it returns false. Is there a way to do this within the
function above or do I need to delve more into VBA?

Any amount of help would be grand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It is not clear what you are trying to do, what do you want to be able to do
or not to do if H1 holds

Agency or Employee Traveler

?

Because validation works by allowing only the TRUE values (if they are
typed)

Peo Sjoblom

"excel-chump" wrote:

I'm trying to set up a function in "data validation", "other".

=IF(OR(H1="Agency",H1="Employee Traveler")," ",0.5)

So far this works. However, I want to modify it to allow the user to
input
any amount if it returns false. Is there a way to do this within the
function above or do I need to delve more into VBA?

Any amount of help would be grand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

Select H2
Goto DataValidation
Allow: Custom
Formula: =AND(OR($H$1="Agency",$H$1="Employee Traveler"),ISNUMBER($H$2))
Uncheck: Ignore blank
OK

Format H2 as CURRENCY

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"excel-chump" wrote:

I'm trying to set up a function in "data validation", "other".

=IF(OR(H1="Agency",H1="Employee Traveler")," ",0.5)

So far this works. However, I want to modify it to allow the user to
input
any amount if it returns false. Is there a way to do this within the
function above or do I need to delve more into VBA?

Any amount of help would be grand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Now that I have your suggestion working I have a followup question:
I select "Agency" in H1 that allows input into H2
I put in "4.5", which reads as $4.50
I then change in H1 to "Permanent Resident"
H2 still displays "$4.50"
How do I get H2 to return blank when neither "Agency" or "Employee Traveler"
is chosen after the previous steps have been taken? Clearly the field can be
cleared manually, but I want to take out the human error of forgetting to go
back and change this.

"excel-chump" wrote:

I'm trying to set up a function in "data validation", "other".

=IF(OR(H1="Agency",H1="Employee Traveler")," ",0.5)

So far this works. However, I want to modify it to allow the user to
input
any amount if it returns false. Is there a way to do this within the
function above or do I need to delve more into VBA?

Any amount of help would be grand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You will need a macro to do this. Let's review *exactly* how you want this
to work.

If H1 = Agency or Employee Traveler then allow the user to enter a number
only in H2.

If H1 does not = Agency or Employee Traveler then clear cell H2 and do not
allow the user to enter anything in cell H2?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"excel-chump" wrote:

I'm trying to set up a function in "data validation", "other".

=IF(OR(H1="Agency",H1="Employee Traveler")," ",0.5)

So far this works. However, I want to modify it to allow the user to
input
any amount if it returns false. Is there a way to do this within
the
function above or do I need to delve more into VBA?

Any amount of help would be grand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I see you started another thread on this. It looks like Gord's macro will do
what you want.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP