Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

Default COUNTIFS Formula Problem

Has anyone experienced any substantial errors from the Countifs Formula?

A B C
1 15 51 30

3 20 30 18
4 20 15 18
5 15 51 30

COUNTIFS(A3:C3,A1,A4:C4, B1,A5:C5, C1) = 0 when it should equal 1

Is my syntax wrong? This what the formula produces?

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I haven't quite figured out any usefulness to the new COUNTIFS function yet.
It doesn't work the way you'd think. If all 3 conditions were met in a
particular spot in the array, then it would count 1. So, if your data looked
like:

15 51 30

15 30 18
51 15 18
30 51 30

Then it would return a value of 1, since A3, A4, and A5 all met their
respective criteria.

I've gotten used to using SUMPRODUCT for this type of problem, so haven't
really seen much need for these new functions.

=SUMPRODUCT((A3:C3=A1)+(A4:C4=B1)+(A5:C5=C1))

HTH,
Elkar

"Jim" wrote:

Has anyone experienced any substantial errors from the Countifs Formula?

A B C
1 15 51 30

3 20 30 18
4 20 15 18
5 15 51 30

COUNTIFS(A3:C3,A1,A4:C4, B1,A5:C5, C1) = 0 when it should equal 1

Is my syntax wrong? This what the formula produces?

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks for the info on counifs and the alternative suggestion. This should
solve my need, I hope. The instuctions for countifs certainly certianly
don't make clear the need for all conditions to be met as you have explained
and therefor are a bit misleading I think. Again thanks for the help.

"Jim" wrote:

Has anyone experienced any substantial errors from the Countifs Formula?

A B C
1 15 51 30

3 20 30 18
4 20 15 18
5 15 51 30

COUNTIFS(A3:C3,A1,A4:C4, B1,A5:C5, C1) = 0 when it should equal 1

Is my syntax wrong? This what the formula produces?

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

I have tested Elkar's suggestion and it provides the desired calculations.
It should be noted that the syntax required by the formula in Excel is very
different and can not be efficiently used to set this formula up.

"Jim" wrote:

Has anyone experienced any substantial errors from the Countifs Formula?

A B C
1 15 51 30

3 20 30 18
4 20 15 18
5 15 51 30

COUNTIFS(A3:C3,A1,A4:C4, B1,A5:C5, C1) = 0 when it should equal 1

Is my syntax wrong? This what the formula produces?

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sep 18, 5:38 pm, Jim wrote:
Has anyone experienced any substantial errors from theCountifsFormula?

A B C
1 15 51 30

3 20 30 18
4 20 15 18
5 15 51 30

COUNTIFS(A3:C3,A1,A4:C4, B1,A5:C5, C1) = 0 when it should equal 1

Is my syntax wrong? This what the formula produces?

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem, which I thought I posted earlier today. I
have the following cells:
a b c
1 2/15/08
countifs(a1,""&today(),b1,"="&"")

Cell c1 returns 0 instead of 1. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Try
=COUNTIFS(A1,""&TODAY(),B1,"")

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Felsa Satlow" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 5:38 pm, Jim wrote:
Has anyone experienced any substantial errors from theCountifsFormula?

A B C
1 15 51 30

3 20 30 18
4 20 15 18
5 15 51 30

COUNTIFS(A3:C3,A1,A4:C4, B1,A5:C5, C1) = 0 when it should equal
1

Is my syntax wrong? This what the formula produces?

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem, which I thought I posted earlier today. I
have the following cells:
a b c
1 2/15/08
countifs(a1,""&today(),b1,"="&"")

Cell c1 returns 0 instead of 1. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, Roger, that worked beautifully.
Felsa

On Nov 17, 11:49 am, "Roger Govier" <rogerattechnology4NOSPAMu.co.uk
wrote:
Hi

Try
=COUNTIFS(A1,""&TODAY(),B1,"")

--

On Sep 18, 5:38 pm, Jim wrote:
Has anyone experienced any substantial errors from theCountifsFormula?

A B C
1 15 51 30

3 20 30 18
4 20 15 18
5 15 51 30

COUNTIFS(A3:C3,A1,A4:C4, B1,A5:C5, C1) = 0 when it should equal
1

Is my syntax wrong? This what the formula produces?

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem, which I thought I posted earlier today. I
have the following cells:
a b c
1 2/15/08
countifs(a1,""&today(),b1,"="&"")

Cell c1 returns 0 instead of 1. Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -