Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting Occurences Formulas

I am trying to find out if something occurred between certain hours of the
day. I am looking at 1 hour time bands between 5 pm and 6 am, which is
between 17:00 and 6:00. I need a formula that will compare the start and end
times (between 17:00 and 6:00, and return a True value if it occurs in each
one hour time band. For example, I want a True returned if something
occurred between 17:00 and 18:00, in which case that something's actual times
are 17:15 and 17:45. So since these times are between that 17:00 and 18:00,
I want a True entered. How can I write a formula for this? Also, is there
any exception to the formula when going past 24:00?
thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your input times are from A2 down column A, and the start times of your
one-hour slots are from B1 across row 1, then use
=HOUR($A2)=HOUR(B$1) to return TRUE or FALSE
or =IF(HOUR($A2)=HOUR(B$1),TRUE,"") if you want TRUE or blank.
--
David Biddulph

"Daren" wrote in message
I am trying to find out if something occurred between certain hours of the
day. I am looking at 1 hour time bands between 5 pm and 6 am, which is
between 17:00 and 6:00. I need a formula that will compare the start and
end
times (between 17:00 and 6:00, and return a True value if it occurs in
each
one hour time band. For example, I want a True returned if something
occurred between 17:00 and 18:00, in which case that something's actual
times
are 17:15 and 17:45. So since these times are between that 17:00 and
18:00,
I want a True entered. How can I write a formula for this? Also, is
there
any exception to the formula when going past 24:00?
thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This =AND(HOUR(A1)=7,HOUR(B1)=8) gives you a start
If B3 is displaying 24:15 by virtue of a custom format [h]:mm then I would
use
=AND(HOUR(A2)=23,HOUR(B1)=0)

This will also work =AND(HOUR(A1)=D1,HOUR(B1)=E1) when D1 and E1 hold
values 7 and 8.

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Daren" wrote in message
I am trying to find out if something occurred between certain hours of the
day. I am looking at 1 hour time bands between 5 pm and 6 am, which is
between 17:00 and 6:00. I need a formula that will compare the start and
end
times (between 17:00 and 6:00, and return a True value if it occurs in
each
one hour time band. For example, I want a True returned if something
occurred between 17:00 and 18:00, in which case that something's actual
times
are 17:15 and 17:45. So since these times are between that 17:00 and
18:00,
I want a True entered. How can I write a formula for this? Also, is
there
any exception to the formula when going past 24:00?
thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, I will try that. I also need to know how much time was used in that one
hour time band. I would think a If-And statement would work, but am not
sure. Can you advise further?
thanks.