Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP error

=VLOOKUP(A2,Budget!$C$2:$Z$10000,6,FALSE)

This is the formula that I am entering into my spreadsheet. However, when I
copy it downwards, I get a #N/A, even though there is a match for the lookup
value in the table. If I enter the formula in the next cell, Excel will
reflect the correct value. Just cannot seem to get it to work when I use the
Autofill to copy the formula downwards.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Data inconsistency is the usual culprit. Probably the values within the
lookup col C in "Budget" are text numbers, while the lookup values in A2 down
are real numbers

Try:
=VLOOKUP(A2&"",Budget!$C$2:$Z$10000,6,FALSE)
which will convert the real numbers in A2 down to text numbers

If you need to add leading zeros in converting it to text numbers,
try instead something like:
=VLOOKUP(TEXT(A2,"0000"),Budget!$C$2:$Z$10000,6,FA LSE)
Adjust the "0000" part to suit

I disregarded your comment below, which was confusing to me:
If I enter the formula in the next cell, Excel will reflect the correct value.

--
Max
Singapore
"Solitary" wrote:
=VLOOKUP(A2,Budget!$C$2:$Z$10000,6,FALSE)

This is the formula that I am entering into my spreadsheet. However, when I
copy it downwards, I get a #N/A, even though there is a match for the lookup
value in the table. If I enter the formula in the next cell, Excel will
reflect the correct value. Just cannot seem to get it to work when I use the
Autofill to copy the formula downwards.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Max -
I think they meant that if they enter the formula themselcves then the
lookup function works, but if they use the autofill 'tool' it doesn'twork.

Solitary-
The only thing I can think of is to make sure that you're just copying it
and not increasing it in series (i.e. going A2 to A3 to A4 etc). try a simple
copy and paste see if that works.

Cheers,
-James
--
"People are strange like that. Steal five pounds and you''''re a petty
thief. But steal twenty thousand pounds and you''''re either a hero or a

"Solitary" wrote:
=VLOOKUP(A2,Budget!$C$2:$Z$10000,6,FALSE)

This is the formula that I am entering into my spreadsheet. However, when I
copy it downwards, I get a #N/A, even though there is a match for the lookup
value in the table. If I enter the formula in the next cell, Excel will
reflect the correct value. Just cannot seem to get it to work when I use the
Autofill to copy the formula downwards.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

James, you may be right

Guess my focus was more on this part of the post

.. when I copy it downwards, I get a #N/A,
even though there is a match for the lookup value in the table.

which implied (to me) that the OP knew how to copy formulas down
but was hitting the bricks on the #N/A returns.

Perhaps there's a chance? that the OP will return and clarify <g