Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Nested IF, reports incorrectly, can't find anything like it to ref

I've boiled down a problem Function to the following statement:
=IF(I54=OR(2,3,4),"Low","")
I54 = 2
Function returns ""
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:
=IF(OR(I54=2,I54=3,I54=4),"Low","")
--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.

"Chris T-M" wrote:

I've boiled down a problem Function to the following statement:
=IF(I54=OR(2,3,4),"Low","")
I54 = 2
Function returns ""

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Each component of the OR function must return a TRUE/FALSE value....
however, if those components return numeric values:
0=FALSE,
any other number=TRUE.

Consequently, OR(2,3,4) is equal to OR(TRUE, TRUE, TRUE)

Try on of these:
=IF(OR(I54=2,I54=3,I54=4),"Low","")
or
=IF(OR(I54={2,3,4}),"Low","")

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

(XL2003, Win XP)

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
I've boiled down a problem Function to the following statement:
=IF(I54=OR(2,3,4),"Low","")
I54 = 2
Function returns ""

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Nested IF, reports incorrectly, can't find anything like it to

Duh! Thank you very much.

Now if I can just simplify 21 nested IF statements into 7 I'll be set.

"Michael" wrote:

Try this:
=IF(OR(I54=2,I54=3,I54=4),"Low","")
--

"Chris T-M" wrote:

I've boiled down a problem Function to the following statement:
=IF(I54=OR(2,3,4),"Low","")
I54 = 2
Function returns ""

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Alternate solutions often use a lookup function instead (eg Lookup, Vlookup,
Index/Match). Choose might also be worth taking a look at (see XL help for
description).

Other methods (defined names or user defined functions) are discussed he
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/nested.htm

"Chris T-M" wrote:

Duh! Thank you very much.

Now if I can just simplify 21 nested IF statements into 7 I'll be set.

"Michael" wrote:

Try this:
=IF(OR(I54=2,I54=3,I54=4),"Low","")
--

"Chris T-M" wrote:

I've boiled down a problem Function to the following statement:
=IF(I54=OR(2,3,4),"Low","")
I54 = 2
Function returns ""

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What are the statements?

On Sep 11, 12:56 pm, Chris T-M
wrote:
Duh! Thank you very much.

Now if I can just simplify 21 nested IF statements into 7 I'll be set.

"Michael" wrote:
Try this:
=IF(OR(I54=2,I54=3,I54=4),"Low","")
--

"Chris T-M" wrote:

I've boiled down a problem Function to the following statement:
=IF(I54=OR(2,3,4),"Low","")
I54 = 2
Function returns ""- Hide quoted text -