Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do i put color in a cell based on data in a second cell

Cell A1 has 8 digit number manually entered each day.
Cell B1 has a single letter manually entered each day (same time as A1 entry).
The background color of cell A1 will be determined by the single letter in B1.
I've looked at conditional formatting, but haven't had much luck. I'm
running excel 2003.

Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

1. Select A1
2. Format |Conditional | Formula is
3. Paste this: =$B$1="A"
4. Format
5. Add
6. Repeat steps 3 to 4
7. You can't specifiy a fourth condition, but you could unconditionally
format A1 as the fourth

"Diogie" wrote:

Cell A1 has 8 digit number manually entered each day.
Cell B1 has a single letter manually entered each day (same time as A1 entry).
The background color of cell A1 will be determined by the single letter in B1.
I've looked at conditional formatting, but haven't had much luck. I'm
running excel 2003.

Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you need more than 4 conditions you could use event code to color the cell
with many more conditions. If interested, post back.

Or use Bob Phillips' 30-condition CFPlus add-in.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Diogie" wrote:

Cell A1 has 8 digit number manually entered each day.
Cell B1 has a single letter manually entered each day (same time as A1 entry).
The background color of cell A1 will be determined by the single letter in B1.
I've looked at conditional formatting, but haven't had much luck. I'm
running excel 2003.

Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

cell is equal to d then format font bold (or background color pink, etc).
There are a total of 7 letters to be used in B1 calling for either bold font
or different color backgrounds in A1.