Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting a spreadsheet with Excell 2007

I am frustrated.

I made a spreadsheet which is basically a database in Office 2003. I bought
and installed Office 2007 and am trying to do the same things I used to do
with the earlier versions of Excel but am having a heck of a time getting it
to response.

I want to sort the whole spreadsheet based on 1-3 columns.
I have highlighted the whole sheet, gone to Sort and Filter. Chose custom
and ID's my header as well as the columns I want to sort on.

I click OK and nothing happens.

I have tried this on both a XP Pro and Vista Ultimate machines.

Clearly I am missing something.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Dunc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select all data to be sorted with or without column headers. (I usually click
on the row identifier which selects the entire first row and then hold Ctrl
and Shift keys and then press down arrow)

Click Sort and Filter- Custom Sort

If column headers are included in selection then check the box €˜My data has
headers

Click on options. Default is top to bottom sort but check it out anyway.

Click on drop down arrow at Sort by box and select first header. Or if no
headers then select the first column.

If the defaults are not correct for the €˜Sort on and €˜Order then adjust
them by clicking on the drop down boxes and selection required option.

If you want to sort on another column then click Add level and repeat as for
1st column.

Repeat previous step and when finished click OK.

If this helped and you posted your question via the MS communities web site
then don't forget to answer 'yes' to the question 'Was this post helpful'

Regards,

OssieMac

"Dunc" wrote:

I am frustrated.

I made a spreadsheet which is basically a database in Office 2003. I bought
and installed Office 2007 and am trying to do the same things I used to do
with the earlier versions of Excel but am having a heck of a time getting it
to response.

I want to sort the whole spreadsheet based on 1-3 columns.
I have highlighted the whole sheet, gone to Sort and Filter. Chose custom
and ID's my header as well as the columns I want to sort on.

I click OK and nothing happens.

I have tried this on both a XP Pro and Vista Ultimate machines.

Clearly I am missing something.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Dunc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

(I usually click on the row identifier which selects the entire first row
and then hold Ctrl and Shift keys and then press down arrow)

By far the fastest way to select a table-like range is to click anywhere in
the data and press Ctrl-* (Ctrl-Shift-8)

"Dunc" wrote:

I am frustrated.

I made a spreadsheet which is basically a database in Office 2003. I bought
and installed Office 2007 and am trying to do the same things I used to do
with the earlier versions of Excel but am having a heck of a time getting it
to response.

I want to sort the whole spreadsheet based on 1-3 columns.
I have highlighted the whole sheet, gone to Sort and Filter. Chose custom
and ID's my header as well as the columns I want to sort on.

I click OK and nothing happens.

I have tried this on both a XP Pro and Vista Ultimate machines.

Clearly I am missing something.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Dunc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting a spreadsheet with Excell 2007 (Grrr)

Thanks for the suggestions, Unfortunately neither worked. What you
suggested was basically what I had done in the past.
I have ebven re-saved it as an .xlsx file thinking that might make a
difference... but no luck.

It is called a "shared" spreadsheet

Is it possible that my sheet is somehow locked?

Dunc
"Dunc" wrote in message
I am frustrated.

I made a spreadsheet which is basically a database in Office 2003. I
bought
and installed Office 2007 and am trying to do the same things I used to do
with the earlier versions of Excel but am having a heck of a time getting
it
to response.

I want to sort the whole spreadsheet based on 1-3 columns.
I have highlighted the whole sheet, gone to Sort and Filter. Chose custom
and ID's my header as well as the columns I want to sort on.

I click OK and nothing happens.

I have tried this on both a XP Pro and Vista Ultimate machines.

Clearly I am missing something.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Dunc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting a spreadsheet with Excell 2007 (Dumb Error)

Well, gang.

It turns out I had a leading blank before each name that was not sorting!

(Yes, I do feel dumb!)

Dunc