Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Average function not returning expected result

Hi all:

I have a column of 25 numbers that include zeros that total 74. I have
applied the average function and rounded the result to two decimal places.

ROUND(AVERAGE (number 1,number 2...),2).

The result that I am receiving from excel is 2.64. When I use a calculator
the result is 2.96. What am I doing wrong?

--
Thanks,
Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds to me as if some of your data may actually be text. If you use
SUM(your range) do you really get 74?

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"gja63" wrote in message
Hi all:

I have a column of 25 numbers that include zeros that total 74. I have
applied the average function and rounded the result to two decimal places.

ROUND(AVERAGE (number 1,number 2...),2).

The result that I am receiving from excel is 2.64. When I use a
calculator
the result is 2.96. What am I doing wrong?

--
Thanks,
Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do any of these help?

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A12<0,A1:A12,FALSE))

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A50,A1:A5))

=SUM(A1:A12)/COUNTIF(A1:A12,"0")

=SUM(A1:A5)/COUNTIF(A1:A5,"<0")

Adjust ranges to suit your needs...........

--
RyGuy