Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I specify cell contents for the Criteria in SUMIF?

I am trying to use the cell contents as the Criteria specification as opposed
to a fixed text operator and cannot seem to figure out how to do it or if it
can be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This can be done. Something like:

=SUMIF(A1:A10,C1,B1:B10)

This checks for the value of C1 in the range A1:A10, then adds B1:B10.

HTH,
Elkar

"Michael" wrote:

I am trying to use the cell contents as the Criteria specification as opposed
to a fixed text operator and cannot seem to figure out how to do it or if it
can be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Michael" wrote:

I am trying to use the cell contents as the Criteria specification as opposed
to a fixed text operator and cannot seem to figure out how to do it or if it
can be done.

I am getting an error with the following when trying to do a logical operator:
=SUMIF($N$8:$N$288,"$D$3",$D$8:$D$288)
I have tried it with and without the quotes and still get an error message.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am getting an error with the following when trying to do a logical
operator:
=SUMIF($N$8:$N$288,"$D$3",$D$8:$D$288)
I have tried it with and without the quotes and still get an error
message.

Concatenate the "" with the contents of $D$3...

=SUMIF($N$8:$N$288,""&$D$3,$D$8:$D$288)

Rick