Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup

This is a re-post from last night. I didnt have enough information on the
first post.

I have two sets of data, named "Rio" and "Fall". Both have the same fields
in them. Name, Address, Phone and Email. Each data set by itself, does not
have duplicates, however when I combine the two lists there are duplicate
names. I combined the two list of names only and created a unique list.

What I would like to do is using the name in the unique list is to lookup
the other information ie: address etc. First in "Rio", if there is a
value/text, return it and stop. If there is not, I would like to lookup in
"Fall" for the same info that was missing in "Rio". If it is not in either
one I would like to return nothing.

In otherwords, I know the name will be in one or the other as I created the
unique list from the two. I also know that the data (address, phone and
email) in "Rio" is more up to date, so I would preferr the information there.
If it is not there then I'll take the info from fall otherwise nothing.

I have tried using embedded if statements along with vlookup's and it's not
working as well as it is returning zero's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

try
=if(iserror(vlookup(name,rio_range,2,0),vlookup(na me,fall_range,2,0),vlookup(name,rio_range,2,0))
changing the 2 to 3 or 4 for the Phone and Email and settin up the range
definitions appropriately

"Jordan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Scusa -

Little quick on the send button

=if(iserror(vlookup(*name value*,rio,1,0)),vlookup(*name
value*,fall,1,0),vlookup(*name value*,rio,1,0))