Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default merge and center not merging and centering

i recently tried to merge and center a sum four cells. the one cell with
data was a sum function. when i hit the m and c icon, the cells merged and
the data was moved to left alignment. no amount of hitting center or pight
justification would help. i was able to merge and center cells two lines up
(data entered in manually) with no problem. any reasons and or possible
cures?

thank you all as always,

js
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just out of curiosity, why would you do this. Merging cells are one of the
worst things
one can do unless it is a plain text header in the uppermost row. Otherwise
it will always come back to haunt you sooner or later. There are so many
Excel functions that don't work as they should with merged cells, as soon as
you start copying and pasting merged cells will screw up the workbook or
refused to be pasted, you can't wrap text without using macros in merged
cells. Formulas get screwed up, yet it seems there are so many people that
find this function irresistible. I never ever use merged cells and I always
remove them from workbooks that are sent to me. I can have a layout that can
mimic almost 100% what merged cells can look like?
So what is the attraction?

Peo Sjoblom

"jstephenson" wrote in message
i recently tried to merge and center a sum four cells. the one cell with
data was a sum function. when i hit the m and c icon, the cells merged
and
the data was moved to left alignment. no amount of hitting center or
pight
justification would help. i was able to merge and center cells two lines
up
(data entered in manually) with no problem. any reasons and or possible
cures?

thank you all as always,

js

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

it doesn't have to be merged, i just wanted the number to be centered in the
area i am working in. there are four cells, and i need the data centered
between the four. and ideas?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

First, select all 4 cells.
Now go to Format-Cells and click on the alignment tab.
Under Horizontal alignment choose "Center across selection"

BTW, I agree with Peo 150%. Merged cells are an atrocity.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To add to what Duke had to say, the values will be in the leftmost cell if
you select the 4 cells from left to right but it will be centered across
these cells and looks perfectly merged without the drawbacks

(Merged Cells = pits of the world, vicious, malevolent) <bg

Peo Sjoblom