Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Subtract Years

Hello,
In one column I have the year a forest originated in number format (i.e.
1971). In another column I have the date the forest was sampled in date
format (i.e. 04/06/1999). I want to subtract the two so I know how old the
forest was when it was sampled. (I.e. 1999-1971). However, because the two
are in different formats I'm finding this impossible. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=YEAR(B1)-A1

B1=Date ....04/06/1999
A1=year ....1971

Format cell as general

"Karl" wrote:

Hello,
In one column I have the year a forest originated in number format (i.e.
1971). In another column I have the date the forest was sampled in date
format (i.e. 04/06/1999). I want to subtract the two so I know how old the
forest was when it was sampled. (I.e. 1999-1971). However, because the two
are in different formats I'm finding this impossible. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See if this works:

=YEAR(B1)-A1

Where B1 is your sample date, and A1 is your origin year. Make sure to
format the cell you place the formula in as a number (or General) and not a
date.

HTH,
Elkar