Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I Auto Sum numeric results from an IF/THEN equation?

I have an if then statement that returns numeric results. I would like to be
able to sum up the list of results but Excel returns a " - ". I believe it
is because the sum tool ignores logical equations but there has to be a way
around it. Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have an if then statement that returns numeric results.
I would like to be able to sum up the list of results
but Excel returns a " - ".

Sounds like you have the sum cell formatted as Accounting and the dash
represents 0.

So, that probably means the results of your IF formulas are returning TEXT
and not numbers.

Do your IF formulas have any numbers enclosed in quotes? Something like
this:

=IF(A1="foo","10","0")

If so, remove the quotes from around the numbers:

=IF(A1="foo",10,0)

Enclosing numbers in quotes like that makes them TEXT.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP