Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default numbers to text

I have a macro that will convert a range from a combination of formats to all
numbers. What I want is something that goes the other way, to text. I don't
want to have to insert and asterisk before the cell contents to designate
such.
THX
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have a macro that will convert a range from a combination of formats to
all
numbers. What I want is something that goes the other way, to text. I
don't
want to have to insert and asterisk before the cell contents to designate
such.

I'm not sure I followed everything you were referring to; however, could you
possibly make use of this number-to-text converter?

Go into the VB Editor (Alt+F11) and add a Module to the Workbook
(Insert/Module from the VBA menu) and then paste in all of the code
appearing after my signature into the Module's code window. You can call the
function from your work sheet like this =NumberAsText(A1) where A1 is
assumed to hold the number you want to convert. There is an Optional
argument you can use to format the results to your liking. Here are some
examples to show the options available...

A1: 123.45

In B1:
=NumberAsText(A1) == One Hundred Twenty Three Point Four Five
=NumberAsText(A1,"And") == One Hundred and Twenty Three Point Four Five
=NumberAsText(A1,"Check") == One Hundred Twenty Three and 45/100
=NumberAsText(A1,"Dollar") == One Hundred Twenty Three Dollars and Forty
Five Cents

To summarize, using "And" adds the word "and" in front of the tens/units
text; using "Check" formats any decimal values as would be written on a
check; and using "Dollar" adds the words "Dollars" and "Cents" in their
appropriate positions. The code is laid out in a reasonably straight forward
manner, so if Dollars/Cents is not you native currency designation, you
should be able to modify the program accordingly. In addition to the above,
for all modes, the Plus and Minus sign can be used and will be reported back
as a word; commas may be used to separate the numbers to the left of the
decimal point but they will not be reported back by the routine and are
permitted for the users convenience (however, if commas are used, they must
be placed in their correct positions). And, finally,if I remember correctly,
this function will work with a whole number part up to one less than a
quintillion (you can have as many decimal points as desired), but remember
to format large numbers as Text values... VB will convert large non-Text
values to Doubles (which will destroy the conversion).

Rick

Private sNumberText() As String

Public Function NumberAsText(NumberIn As Variant, _
Optional AND_or_CHECK_or_DOLLAR As String) As String
Dim cnt As Long
Dim DecimalPoint As Long
Dim CardinalNumber As Long
Dim CommaAdjuster As Long
Dim TestValue As Long
Dim CurrValue As Currency
Dim CentsString As String
Dim NumberSign As String
Dim WholePart As String
Dim BigWholePart As String
Dim DecimalPart As String
Dim tmp As String
Dim sStyle As String
Dim bUseAnd As Boolean
Dim bUseCheck As Boolean
Dim bUseDollars As Boolean
'----------------------------------------
' Begin setting conditions for formatting
'----------------------------------------
' Determine whether to apply special formatting.
' If nothing passed, return routine result
' converted only into its numeric equivalents,
' with no additional format text.
sStyle = LCase(AND_or_CHECK_or_DOLLAR)
' User passed "AND": "and" will be added
' between hundredths and tens of dollars,
' ie "Three Hundred and Forty Two"
bUseAnd = sStyle = "and"
' User passed "DOLLAR": "dollar(s)" and "cents"
' appended to string,
' ie "Three Hundred and Forty Two Dollars"
bUseDollars = sStyle = "dollar"
' User passed "CHECK" *or* "DOLLAR"
' If "check", cent amount returned as a fraction /100
' i.e. "Three Hundred Forty Two and 00/100"
' If "dollar" was passed, "dollar(s)" and "cents"
' Appended instead.
bUseCheck = (sStyle = "check") Or (sStyle = "dollar")
'----------------------------------------
' Check/create array. If this is the first
' time using this routine, create the text
' strings that will be used.
'----------------------------------------
If Not IsBounded(sNumberText) Then
Call BuildArray(sNumberText)
End If
'----------------------------------------
' Begin validating the number, and breaking
' into constituent parts
'----------------------------------------
' Prepare to check for valid value in
NumberIn = Trim$(NumberIn)
If Not IsNumeric(NumberIn) Then
' Invalid entry - abort
NumberAsText = "Error - Number improperly formed"
Exit Function
Else
' Decimal check
DecimalPoint = InStr(NumberIn, ".")
If DecimalPoint 0 Then
' Split the fractional and primary numbers
DecimalPart = Mid$(NumberIn, DecimalPoint + 1)
WholePart = Left$(NumberIn, DecimalPoint - 1)
Else
' Assume the decimal is the last char
DecimalPoint = Len(NumberIn) + 1
WholePart = NumberIn
End If
If InStr(NumberIn, ",,") Or _
InStr(NumberIn, ",.") Or _
InStr(NumberIn, ".,") Or _
InStr(DecimalPart, ",") Then
NumberAsText = "Error - Improper use of commas"
Exit Function
ElseIf InStr(NumberIn, ",") Then
CommaAdjuster = 0
WholePart = ""
For cnt = DecimalPoint - 1 To 1 Step -1
If Not Mid$(NumberIn, cnt, 1) Like "[,]" Then
WholePart = Mid$(NumberIn, cnt, 1) & WholePart
Else
CommaAdjuster = CommaAdjuster + 1
If (DecimalPoint - cnt - CommaAdjuster) Mod 3 Then
NumberAsText = "Error - Improper use of commas"
Exit Function
Next
If Left$(WholePart, 1) Like "[+-]" Then
NumberSign = IIf(Left$(WholePart, 1) = "-", "Minus ", "Plus ")
WholePart = Mid$(WholePart, 2)
End If
'----------------------------------------
' Begin code to assure decimal portion of
' check value is not inadvertently rounded
'----------------------------------------
If bUseCheck = True Then
CurrValue = CCur(Val("." & DecimalPart))
DecimalPart = Mid$(Format$(CurrValue, "0.00"), 3, 2)
If CurrValue = 0.995 Then
If WholePart = String$(Len(WholePart), "9") Then
WholePart = "1" & String$(Len(WholePart), "0")
Else
For cnt = Len(WholePart) To 1 Step -1
If Mid$(WholePart, cnt, 1) = "9" Then
Mid$(WholePart, cnt, 1) = "0"
Else
Mid$(WholePart, cnt, 1) = _
CStr(Val(Mid$(WholePart, cnt, 1)) + 1)
Exit For
End If
Next
'----------------------------------------
' Final prep step - this assures number
' within range of formatting code below
'----------------------------------------
If Len(WholePart) 9 Then
BigWholePart = Left$(WholePart, Len(WholePart) - 9)
WholePart = Right$(WholePart, 9)
End If
If Len(BigWholePart) 9 Then
NumberAsText = "Error - Number too large"
Exit Function
ElseIf Not WholePart Like String$(Len(WholePart), "#") Or _
(Not BigWholePart Like String$(Len(BigWholePart), "#") _
And Len(BigWholePart) 0) Then
NumberAsText = "Error - Number improperly formed"
Exit Function
End If
'----------------------------------------
' Begin creating the output string
'----------------------------------------
' Very Large values
TestValue = Val(BigWholePart)
If TestValue 999999 Then
CardinalNumber = TestValue \ 1000000
tmp = HundredsTensUnits(CardinalNumber) & "Quadrillion "
TestValue = TestValue - (CardinalNumber * 1000000)
End If
If TestValue 999 Then
CardinalNumber = TestValue \ 1000
tmp = tmp & HundredsTensUnits(CardinalNumber) & "Trillion "
TestValue = TestValue - (CardinalNumber * 1000)
End If
If TestValue 0 Then
tmp = tmp & HundredsTensUnits(TestValue) & "Billion "
End If
' Lesser values
TestValue = Val(WholePart)
If TestValue = 0 And BigWholePart = "" Then tmp = "Zero "
If TestValue 999999 Then
CardinalNumber = TestValue \ 1000000
tmp = tmp & HundredsTensUnits(CardinalNumber) & "Million "
TestValue = TestValue - (CardinalNumber * 1000000)
End If
If TestValue 999 Then
CardinalNumber = TestValue \ 1000
tmp = tmp & HundredsTensUnits(CardinalNumber) & "Thousand "
TestValue = TestValue - (CardinalNumber * 1000)
End If
If TestValue 0 Then
If Val(WholePart) < 99 And BigWholePart = "" Then bUseAnd = False
tmp = tmp & HundredsTensUnits(TestValue, bUseAnd)
End If
' If in dollar mode, assure the text is the correct plurality
If bUseDollars = True Then
CentsString = HundredsTensUnits(DecimalPart)
If tmp = "One " Then
tmp = tmp & "Dollar"
Else
tmp = tmp & "Dollars"
End If
If Len(CentsString) 0 Then
tmp = tmp & " and " & CentsString
If CentsString = "One " Then
tmp = tmp & "Cent"
Else
tmp = tmp & "Cents"
ElseIf bUseCheck = True Then
tmp = tmp & "and " & Left$(DecimalPart & "00", 2)
tmp = tmp & "/100"
Else
If Len(DecimalPart) 0 Then
tmp = tmp & "Point"
For cnt = 1 To Len(DecimalPart)
tmp = tmp & " " & sNumberText(Mid$(DecimalPart, cnt, 1))
Next
' Done!
NumberAsText = NumberSign & tmp
End Function

Private Sub BuildArray(sNumberText() As String)
ReDim sNumberText(0 To 27) As String
sNumberText(0) = "Zero"
sNumberText(1) = "One"
sNumberText(2) = "Two"
sNumberText(3) = "Three"
sNumberText(4) = "Four"
sNumberText(5) = "Five"
sNumberText(6) = "Six"
sNumberText(7) = "Seven"
sNumberText(8) = "Eight"
sNumberText(9) = "Nine"
sNumberText(10) = "Ten"
sNumberText(11) = "Eleven"
sNumberText(12) = "Twelve"
sNumberText(13) = "Thirteen"
sNumberText(14) = "Fourteen"
sNumberText(15) = "Fifteen"
sNumberText(16) = "Sixteen"
sNumberText(17) = "Seventeen"
sNumberText(18) = "Eighteen"
sNumberText(19) = "Nineteen"
sNumberText(20) = "Twenty"
sNumberText(21) = "Thirty"
sNumberText(22) = "Forty"
sNumberText(23) = "Fifty"
sNumberText(24) = "Sixty"
sNumberText(25) = "Seventy"
sNumberText(26) = "Eighty"
sNumberText(27) = "Ninety"
End Sub

Private Function IsBounded(vntArray As Variant) As Boolean
' Note: the application in the IDE will stop
' at this line when first run if the IDE error
' mode is not set to "Break on Unhandled Errors"
' (Tools/Options/General/Error Trapping)
On Error Resume Next
IsBounded = IsNumeric(UBound(vntArray))
End Function

Private Function HundredsTensUnits(ByVal TestValue As Integer, _
Optional bUseAnd As Boolean) As String
Dim CardinalNumber As Integer
If TestValue 99 Then
CardinalNumber = TestValue \ 100
HundredsTensUnits = sNumberText(CardinalNumber) & " Hundred "
TestValue = TestValue - (CardinalNumber * 100)
End If
If bUseAnd = True Then
HundredsTensUnits = HundredsTensUnits & "and "
End If
If TestValue 20 Then
CardinalNumber = TestValue \ 10
HundredsTensUnits = HundredsTensUnits & _
sNumberText(CardinalNumber + 18) & " "
TestValue = TestValue - (CardinalNumber * 10)
End If
If TestValue 0 Then
HundredsTensUnits = HundredsTensUnits & _
sNumberText(TestValue) & " "
End If
End Function

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try:

Sub textit()
For Each r In Selection
r.NumberFormat = "@"
Next

Gary''s Student - gsnu200735

"Scottie" wrote:

I have a macro that will convert a range from a combination of formats to all
numbers. What I want is something that goes the other way, to text. I don't
want to have to insert and asterisk before the cell contents to designate
such.
THX

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I assume you meant you don't want to insert an apostrophe in front of each
number, right?

How about this approach:

Select the column of numbers

From the Excel main menu:
<data<text-to-columns.....Click [Next] until Step 3 of 3
Check: Text..........Click [Finish]

That will convert each numeric cell to text with a number format of Text.

(instead of changing the format of each number to Text...then sequentially
selecting each cell and pressing [F2] )

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Scottie" wrote:

I have a macro that will convert a range from a combination of formats to all
numbers. What I want is something that goes the other way, to text. I don't
want to have to insert and asterisk before the cell contents to designate
such.
THX

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Gary''s Student" wrote...
Try:

Sub textit()
For Each r In Selection
r.NumberFormat = "@"
Next

This would only address the format as number format. It wouldn't change any
cell values from anything nontext to text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Based on the other responses you have gotten, it looks like I misread your
request completely. Your statement that you didn't want to "insert and
asterisk" (instead of an apostrophe) threw me as to your intent.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...