Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default converting a decimal to time

I want to be able to convert a decimal into time, and am completely stuck!

As an example, I have in cell A1 4.9 (this number represents 4.9hrs).

I want a formula that will calculate the hours and minutes for me, and show
the result in normal time format. In my example above the answer I would be
looking for is 04:54 (i.e. four hours and 54 minutes).

I have trawled these threads and have found many posts on how to convert
time to a decimal. I want to do the reverse.

Any ideas?

Darrell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Darrell

divide the number by 24 and format the cell as hh:mm:ss

For example, if A1 has 4.9, B1 would be =A1/24 formatted as hh:mm:ss is
04:54:00

Regards

Trevor

"dazp1970" wrote in message
I want to be able to convert a decimal into time, and am completely stuck!

As an example, I have in cell A1 4.9 (this number represents 4.9hrs).

I want a formula that will calculate the hours and minutes for me, and
show
the result in normal time format. In my example above the answer I would
be
looking for is 04:54 (i.e. four hours and 54 minutes).

I have trawled these threads and have found many posts on how to convert
time to a decimal. I want to do the reverse.

Any ideas?

Darrell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Time is represented internally by a fraction of 1, where 1 is 24 hours. So 12
hours is 0.5, 6 hours 0.25, 1 hour is 0.0416667, etc.

In your case, the formula is =A1/24, and format the cell with a time format.
You should now see 04:54 in the cell.

Stephane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The previous threads that you read will have told you that to convert from
Excel time format to decimal hours you would need to multiply by 24.
The answer to your question, therefore, is that to convert decimal hours to
Excel time format you need to *divide* by 24.
--
David Biddulph