Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default HELP ON AGE RANGES

Hi,
I'm trying to use the countif formula to count the number of people
within particular age
ranges (20-29 then 30-39 etc etc) but keep getting errors.

My data is in a column with has a lot of blanks in and one or two asterisks
in (B4-B329)

Am I using the correct formula, if not how does the correct formula look?

many thanks,

Malcolm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Malcolm,

I suggest that you use the function FREQUENCY instead. Look into the help
file on how to use it, it is not trivial as it is an array function (you must
select several cells and validate the function with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER). But it
works great!

Stephane.

Malcolm Austin wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to use the countif formula to count the number of people
within particular age
ranges (20-29 then 30-39 etc etc) but keep getting errors.

My data is in a column with has a lot of blanks in and one or two asterisks
in (B4-B329)

Am I using the correct formula, if not how does the correct formula look?

many thanks,

Malcolm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm trying to use the countif formula to count the number of people
within particular age
ranges (20-29 then 30-39 etc etc) but keep getting errors.

It is always helpful when asking a question in a newsgroup to specify what
errors or error messages you are getting (it can help us to focus on what
might be wrong).

My data is in a column with has a lot of blanks in and one or two
asterisks in (B4-B329)

It would also be helpful to tell us what your data is (dates, actual ages,
something else).

Am I using the correct formula, if not how does the correct formula look?

COUNTIF should work, but without you showing us how you tried to use it, we
can only guess at the problem. Okay, with the admonishments now out of the
way<g, assuming your data is actual ages (19, 28, etc.), try this...

=COUNTIF(B4:B329,"<30")-COUNTIF(B4:B329,"<20")

which will give a count of the number of ages between 20 and 29. Just change
the test numbers for the other age ranges you are interested in.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
in my version of Excel (2003) there are descriptions for using
frequency in one
way only. No help on using this for various number frequency's. So it
can't help me,
sorry!

Malcolm Austin wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to use the countif formula to count the number of
people
within particular age
ranges (20-29 then 30-39 etc etc) but keep getting errors.

My data is in a column with has a lot of blanks in and one or two
asterisks
in (B4-B329)

Am I using the correct formula, if not how does the correct formula look?

many thanks,

Malcolm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Rick,
I did/do not have the knowledge to put a "countif" together
the way you have done.
So my attempts at formula's were a dismal failure I'm afraid. (just ERROR!
every time)

Your formula's worked a treat, thanks very much. (I've printed out for
message for
safe keeping)

regards,
Malcolm..