Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Rounding problems

How would I round up to the nearest 50 in an excell cell? MROUND won't work
as I always want to round up not down.

Also can I round up to non multples? I.e round up to to the nearest value
out of the following: 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=CEILING(A1,50)
--
David Biddulph

"Ste101" wrote in message
How would I round up to the nearest 50 in an excell cell? MROUND won't
work
as I always want to round up not down.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could set up a table like this (eg in X1:Y7:

0 80
81 100
101 125
126 160
161 200
201 250
251 315

then use

=CEILING(A1,VLOOKUP(A1,X$1:Y$7,2))

Not sure what you want to happen if the number is above 315.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Ste101" wrote in message
How would I round up to the nearest 50 in an excell cell? MROUND won't
work
as I always want to round up not down.

Also can I round up to non multples? I.e round up to to the nearest value
out of the following: 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think the OP wanted a *multiple* of the numbers listed, he just
wanted to round up to that value.

Hence perhaps:
=VLOOKUP(A1,X$1:Y$7,2)
with the caveat you mentioned.
--
David Biddulph

oups.com...

"Bob Phillips" wrote:
=CEILING(A1,50)

any number can be used instead of 50

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Ste101" wrote in message
How would I round up to the nearest 50 in an excell cell? MROUND
won't
work
as I always want to round up not down.

Also can I round up to non multples? I.e round up to to the nearest
value
out of the following: 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah, thanks David, much simpler - though I think mine would produce
the same results, as you couldn't get multiples.

I had assumed that the OP only had integers, but if he has a value
like 80.5 this would actually be rounded down to 80, so perhaps a more
robust solution is:

=VLOOKUP(ROUNDUP(A1,0),X$1:Y$7,2)

with the table as quoted earlier.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 26, 1:32 pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
I don't think the OP wanted a *multiple* of the numbers listed, he just
wanted to round up to that value.

Hence perhaps:
=VLOOKUP(A1,X$1:Y$7,2)
with the caveat you mentioned.