Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need a formula, please!

I have attached below, the sample of the data i am working with. 2 columns, 2
rows. Considering this data to be on the same excel sheet, which formula can
i use to calculate the sum of hours for both weeks, for each employee. Im not
sure which formula to use.

Week 1

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 40

XYZ 40

Week 2

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 40

XYZ 40

Results should be on the same sheet as follows:

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 80
XYZ 80
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Enter this formula for each employee:-

=SUMIF(A1:A100,"xyz",C1:C100)

Mike

"JessB" wrote:

I have attached below, the sample of the data i am working with. 2 columns, 2
rows. Considering this data to be on the same excel sheet, which formula can
i use to calculate the sum of hours for both weeks, for each employee. Im not
sure which formula to use.

Week 1

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 40

XYZ 40

Week 2

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 40

XYZ 40

Results should be on the same sheet as follows:

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 80
XYZ 80

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much Mike H!! :)
For some reason, i blanked, and tried db functions, and other difficult
things. I learn more about excel as and when i need to work something out.
so...i always needed guidance.

Thank you again, very much!

"JessB" wrote:

I have attached below, the sample of the data i am working with. 2 columns, 2
rows. Considering this data to be on the same excel sheet, which formula can
i use to calculate the sum of hours for both weeks, for each employee. Im not
sure which formula to use.

Week 1

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 40

XYZ 40

Week 2

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 40

XYZ 40

Results should be on the same sheet as follows:

EMPLOYEE NAME NO.OF HOURS

ABC 80
XYZ 80

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Do you have 2 separate tables on same sheet? When yes, then it's a very bad
idea.

My advice is to put all info into a single 3-column table: Week, Employee,
Hours

Now you have several different ways to proceed.
a) You can use Pivot Table feature to get various sums. Whenever you insert
new data, you have to refresh the pivot table to synchronize it;
b) You can use Autofilter combined with SUBTOTAL function {p.e.
=SUBTOTAL(9,$C:$C) in anywhere in header except in column C};
c) You can use SUMIF or SUMPRODUCT functions to get summary figures {p.e.
=SUMIF(DataSheet!$B:$B,"Jim",DataSheet!$C:$C)}.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )