Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula to count number of sequential days in a row

I have a spreadsheet which has employee name in one column and the dates they
worked in another column. I am looking for a formula I can write which will
count the number of days each employee worked consecutively. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"andreas" wrote...
I have a spreadsheet which has employee name in one column and the dates they
worked in another column. I am looking for a formula I can write which will
count the number of days each employee worked consecutively. Any ideas?

Ambiguous.

Do you mean for each employee there could be several rows of dates in the
column containing dates, or would there be multiple dates, as text, stuffed
into one cell for each employee?

By counting the number of consecutively worked days, do you mean you need
the sum of consecutive workdays, so, e.g., 24-Jul, 25-Jul, 26-Jul, 30-Jul and
31-Jul would be 5 consecutive workdays, or do you want the number of the
longest set of consecutive workdays, in this example 3, or the number of the
latest set of consecutive workdays, in this example 2?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry - I wasn't sure what information was needed.

There are several rows of dates in a column containing dates with employee
names next to it. Example:

Name Date
Joe Smith 5/1/07
Joe Smith 5/2/07
Joe Smith 5/5/07
Mary Johnson 6/1/07
Mary Johnson 6/5/07

I was hoping for at least the number of the longest set of consecutive
workdays. Even better would be the count of each set of consecutive workdays.
For example, in your example below: 3 and 2.

"andreas" wrote...