Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Obi Wan Kenobi: You're My Only...HELP!!!!!!

HELLO everyone! I seriously need some excel help? I've been reading
VB for Dummies and I still can't figure out how to do this with VB or
use a function.

I have this data set.

A B C
FUND OBJECT VALUE
01 8043 974906.61
01 8044 464605.5
01 8045 633509.09
01 8045 25612.02
03 8047 -1489111
05 8049 71675.66

I need to do the following:

If for all values in A are = 1 and for all values in collumn B = 8045
then sum this with all other values in collumn C that meet these
conditions. Spit the total sum and place on Sheet2 cell A2.

Does anyone know how to write this either in VB or how to use the
functions to make excel do this? It would have to be pretty easy to
customize if more collumns or conditions were added?

I would be sooooooo appreciated if someone could figure it out;

For this example it should spit out: 659121.11 on the sheet2.

! T H A N K Y O U !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A2:A9="01"),--(Sheet1!B2:B9=8045),Sheet1!C2:C9)

if 1 is a real value not a text value then try the formula belowed

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A2:A9=1),--(Sheet1!B2:B9=8045),Sheet1!C2:C9)

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jul 13, 6:26 pm, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A8=1),--(B2:B8=8045),C2:C8)

--
HTH

Bob

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

! T H A N K Y O U !- Hide quoted text -

I would assume that a more general result is desired. Not just a sum
of that 1 simple value.

What you want to do is look at pivot tables. They can be used to sort
through groups of data and total values.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!A2:A9=Sheet1!A2)*(Sheet1!B2:B9 =Sheet1!B4),Sheet1!
C2:C9)

Matching cell values in a lookup rather than specifying a static
value eliminates some comparison errors.

This formula will give you the desired result.

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

" wrote:

[...]

Your example is a little unclear, but if I get you right, what you're
trying to do is essentially a SUMIF with _two_ conditions. I do this a
thousand times a day, with the SUM(IF()) construct. In your example, it'd
look like this:

=SUM(IF((A2:A9=1)*(B2:B9=8045),C2:C9,0))

What this says is "sum some cells; where the two conditions are both
true, use the corresponding value from C, otherwise use zero." Note the
parenthesis around the two conditions, and the asterisk in between. The
asterisk says "both conditions," there are other options for "or" and "xor."
You probably want similar sums for 01 and 8043, for 06 and 8050, and so
forth. Just replace the "1" and "8045" in the formula with references to the
A and B column. Of course, if you take this formula and copy it like this
you'll probably want static references on the blocks, I skipped them just for
visual clarity.
IMPORTANT: This is an array formula, so you need to hit
Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter after typing it in or editing it.
I hope this helps! This formula is a lifesaver for me, I couldn't work
without it.
OK, there is another way: create an extra column that concatenates the
first two: "=A2&"_"&B2", then "=SUMIF("01_8045", D2:D9)". But that takes up
more space, and you have to hide the concatentated column.