Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Ranking a moving list

I have an issue with ranking a dynamic range. I have a list of data that I
need to rank, but each week the length of the list changes. The regular rank
formula would work, but I have another caveat, the last item in this random
length list needs to be excluded from ranking. So one week I may have 20
items to rank while excluding item # 20, but the next week I may have 24
items to rank excluding item #24. I would rather not update the formula
every week. I feel offset may work, but I am unfamiliar with that function.
Can anyone shed some light on this issue?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With your list of data starting in cell A2, put a formula like this into B2:

=IF(COUNT(A2:A$100)1,RANK(A2,OFFSET($A$2,0,0,COUN T($A$2:$A$100)-1,1),TRUE),"")

and copy down to B100.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"WBTKbeezy" wrote in message
I have an issue with ranking a dynamic range. I have a list of data that I
need to rank, but each week the length of the list changes. The regular rank
formula would work, but I have another caveat, the last item in this random
length list needs to be excluded from ranking. So one week I may have 20
items to rank while excluding item # 20, but the next week I may have 24
items to rank excluding item #24. I would rather not update the formula
every week. I feel offset may work, but I am unfamiliar with that function.
Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That does work, however with the TRUE part in there it was ranking backwards.
I removed it and it returns what I expected, so thanks. I wish I understood
the offset function better.

Thanks,

"WBTKbeezy" wrote in message
I have an issue with ranking a dynamic range. I have a list of data that I
need to rank, but each week the length of the list changes. The regular rank
formula would work, but I have another caveat, the last item in this random
length list needs to be excluded from ranking. So one week I may have 20
items to rank while excluding item # 20, but the next week I may have 24
items to rank excluding item #24. I would rather not update the formula
every week. I feel offset may work, but I am unfamiliar with that function.
Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That does work, however with the TRUE part in there it was ranking backwards.

That's why I said "a formula like this" ;-)

Offset simply returns a range offset from the reference cell by a number of rows, columns, with a
number of rows, and columns in it.

OFFSET($A$2,0,0,COUNT($A$2:$A$100)-1,1)

means "give me a range that is offset from cell A2 by 0 rows and 0 columns (ie, a range that starts
at cell A2), and has one less row in it as there are values in A2:A100, that is one column wide."

The above example returns a range that starts in A2 and has all the cells in A2:A100 that are
filled, except the last one... the tricky part is figuring out where to put $s to make sure that the
formula copies correctly....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP