-   -   MY FORMULA WON'T WORK.. WHY?? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/149924-my-formula-wont-work-why.html)

Eclaires

MY FORMULA WON'T WORK.. WHY??

Please can anyone advise me why the following formula is not acceptable and
is coming up as "the formula you typed contains a error"?
The cell for the answer is formated as General

=SUMIF(B4:B8,"BANK",J4+J8)

Kind regards

Eclaires

Toppers

MY FORMULA WON'T WORK.. WHY??

Do you mean ....?

=SUMIF(B4:B8,"BANK",J4:J8)

which sums columns J4:J8 if any of the corresponding B4:B8 = "BANK"

"Eclaires" wrote:

Please can anyone advise me why the following formula is not acceptable and
is coming up as "the formula you typed contains a error"?
The cell for the answer is formated as General

=SUMIF(B4:B8,"BANK",J4+J8)

Kind regards

Eclaires

Mike H

MY FORMULA WON'T WORK.. WHY??

I assume that you are looking to see in "bank" appears in B1:B8 and if it
does add J4 & J8. If correct try:-

=IF(COUNTIF(B4:B8,"=bank"),J4+J8,"Not defined")