Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Blank cells

I have a list with some blank cells, say in column A. I have created an IF
function to show a text message if the cell is empty. I have done it using
the ISBLANK function and also using =0. See the next examples:
=IF(ISBLANK(A1),€Chase€,€€)
=IF(A1<=0,€Chase€,€€)

Is there a problem I might encounter if I use the <=0 condition? Is one
solution preferable for any reason to the other?

Ive formatted the cells in column A to Text to see if that effects it and
it doesnt seem to.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I should say neither is a good test. If cell A1 returns "" through a
formula then

=ISBLANK(A1)

will return FALSE. Similarly, it is not a good idea to play with
numeric values unless your data set has some specific characteristics.
Just use:

=IF(A1="","Chase","")

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Jun 21, 5:59 pm, Mary Ann
wrote:
I have a list with some blank cells, say in column A. I have created an IF
function to show a text message if the cell is empty. I have done it using
the ISBLANK function and also using =0. See the next examples:
=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"Chase","")
=IF(A1<=0,"Chase","")

Is there a problem I might encounter if I use the <=0 condition? Is one
solution preferable for any reason to the other?

I've formatted the cells in column A to Text to see if that effects it and
it doesn't seem to.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just use:

=IF(A1="","Chase","")

And possibly

=IF(TRIM(A1)="","Chase","")

if there is any chance someone could accidentally place one or more blank
spaces in the cell.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Or