Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Why does Excel not multiply a number generated by an IF formula?

We are trying to do a simple <=PRODUCT function where we multiply two cells:
the first cell is a number generated by an <=IF function, and the second is
simply a cell with a single digit number. The result only shows the single
digit number, viz 4*3=3. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The result of your IF formula is probably TEXT.

What does your IF formula look like?

If you have numbers in quotes:

=IF(A1="x","10","no")

Then the result is TEXT.

=PRODUCT("10",3) = 3

PRODUCT will ignore the TEXT "10".

Remove the quotes from around the numbers in your IF formula.

Also, you don't really need the PRODUCT function.

=B1*B2

Will do the same thing.

Biff